Wednesday, December 5, 2012

of course we have to have MUSIC



          I LOVE music.  I love to sing – though I haven’t been blessed with a great singing voice nor have I done much to change that.  I’m certain that Corey has a much larger music collection than I.  And probably a larger variety of music.  Corey does have a gift.  And so does his partner.  Oh – the awesomeness!

          I have instrumentals and vocals.  I have children’s music.  Pop music.  Oldies. Temporary Christian.  Even a few country songs (just a few though). But all of those put together don’t add up to the great number of music I have collected for the Christmas season.  I LOVE Christmas songs.  I love the familiar traditional songs.  I like the original ones that have not yet been popularized.  I love the ones about Santa.  About the festivities.  About the snow.  About celebrations.  And most importantly, the ones about Jesus. 




          Spirit often speaks to spirit as I listen to the words.  Singing along with the more spiritual tunes of the season doesn’t often come easy – as so often my eyes leak which makes my mouth blubber and so I have to just listen.

          One of the first Christmas CDs I purchased was Julie Andrews.  On the album was the song, “I wonder as I wander” – which I could sing along with until I got Vanessa Williams and the tears would flow so hard when I tried to sing with her that I actually can’t sing with either one.

          I’ve always loved “Carol of the Bells” and am intrigued by each version. I haven’t disliked the song “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing” but it hasn’t been among my favorite.  Yet I have in my collection four distinct various versions of this song.  And I absolutely LOVE each one.

          I love Trisha Yearwood’s “It Wasn’t His Child” Dan Fogelberg’s “The First Christmas Morning”  Michael W. Smith’s “Emmanuel”, Steven Curtis Chapman’s  “Emmanuel”, Michael W. Smith’s “child in a manger”, Vanessa William’s “Gracious Good Shepherd” David Bowie and Bing Crosby’s “Peace on Earth” (but then again “Little Drummer Boy” has been my favorites Christmas song for years and Mannheim Steamroller’s “Christmas Lullaby”

  The list goes on and on.  I keep a couple of cassettes in the car to play when I tire of the stations spinning out the same 24 hits each year.  Come on!  There are enough songs, enough versions, and enough artists that really – a new song could be played every ten minutes in any given day and they wouldn’t have to repeat any of them! 

Bless the wonders of YouTube that assists us with entertainment to play and share.  I hope you enjoy these two as much as I do. 



2 comments:

  1. You know that I love music, too. It speaks to my soul in a way that is indescribable. I would rather be blind than deaf because I would miss music terribly.

    I like "Peace on Earth" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie, too. I also quite enjoy "Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon (although I actually think I prefer the cover version The Alarm did). "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is one of my favorite songs. I also like Bobby Sherman's "Love's What Your Getting for Christmas." I like "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting, etc.)" and "O Holy Night." I like Amy Grant's "Grown-up Christmas List." Have you heard the Pentatonix's version of "Carol of the Bells"? I provided a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUFzC6_fp8. Jonah and I heard it driving to LA, and I quite liked it.

    Although I do like "The Little Drummer Boy," if I hear another version of it, I might just lose my mind. I agree with you: with so many possible Christmas songs to play, why do we keep hearing the same ones over and over and over again?

    Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, How could I have forgotten Bobby Sherman. LOVE that song!

    ReplyDelete