Tuesday, May 16, 2017

What Happened to Me?


                I don't know what it is that Roland and I may have encountered on Wednesday, but something didn't agree with us.  It took a few days before we managed to get it out of our system.  He continued with some yard labor that he had started while I was bent over in the fetal position not wanting to move, for every time that I did, I'd have to race to the toilet.


                After he had finished up with one project, he decided to move onto another.

                He mentioned a yard sale that he wanted to look at.  I told him to wait until Jenna returned home and he could take her with him.  She loves yard sales.   I can take them or leave them.  When I'm in the fetal position - I just want to stay and not be bothered.  I didn't especially want to sleep all day - but I could ignore my stomach much better if I was asleep.

                Mail came and there was a check there for a survey that I had participated in.  I told Roland he could run to the bank so that he could have some cash for the yard sale.  About an hour after Jenna had returned, I decided I would go would go with Roland to the yard sell.  By then, he said he wanted to go to Roseburg, not the yard sale.  The yard sale was at least in our neighborhood.  I certainly wasn't up for going to Roseburg. When he told me what supplies he wanted, I said it sounded best that he didn't have any passengers.  And I was right.  He had loaded the car with paving bricks and soil.  Everything that had been in the trunk was moved to the front seat.  So much for a relaxing weekend.




                He said he would work like an ant.  He would carry a brick up the hill, tack it down, return for another brick.  He was going to wear himself out before he got started.  There was no reason for him to do it by himself.  I told him I would move the bricks from the trunk to the foot of the hill and Jenna could take the bricks from the bottom and take them to him at the top.  She's agile.  She can scale the hill.  I used to be.  I used to be so active.  I'd climb hills and trees.  Nowadays it's all I can do to climb the stairs.

                Even when I was walking Jenna to the bus stop and to the school and returning without her, I wasn't in the best of shape.  I don't know that I'm in particularly worse shape now.  I'm certainly not as spry as I was just 20 years ago.  That's for sure.

                After we got all the bricks in, Roland moved us towards the plants to weed, to add new soil, to rearrange . . . we did have a bed of plants that seemed almost lifeless.  The gold marigolds on the end did okay, and one rose bush just needed sprucing, but the yellow marigolds croaked.




  And the other rose bush had so many spotted leaves, Roland decided just to rip it out.    Roland reminded me that Jenna and I both took home some flowers on Mother's Day last year.  They too had croaked.  Same spot. I think there is something wrong with the soil, or there's something in the ground that isn't helping their growth (like I really know anything about plants)             Fun to see the beets are starting to sprout along with the spinach. 




On Saturday we planted corn before Roland moved us to the front.  It started raining and we had to go inside.



I don't like this aging thing at all.  I'd like to be agile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment