Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sacrament Bread



                I remember when I was a youth, our ward had made it the responsibility of the Aaronic Priesthood to bring the bread.  They rotated among Deacons, Teachers and Priests - at least I think that's how it was.  I might not have even thought about it, but I remember several times when my brother Patrick would announce that it was his turn to bring the bread.  I don't know if this was really a ward thing or if it happened in every church at that time or when it changed or if it changed.  I don't hold the priesthood myself.

                I don't know who was responsible for bringing the bread during my married years.  I don't think it was the Aaronic priesthood however as I don't recall being in the position of bringing bread - which we would have done almost weekly as our boys made up 60% of the Aaronic Priesthood - at least when we first moved in.  I think the bishopric was in charge when we lived in our last ward as it seemed we were contributing at least one loaf a month.  The Aaronic Priesthood was sparse.  I remember when a youth was finally ordained to the position of Deacon.  It was quite a while before we got our second one - and by then he had moved on to being a teacher or Priest.  It was mostly a geriatric ward in which 70% of the members were over 65 years of age.

                I always like it when the bread tastes like it is homemade. The bread today tasted sweet.  Roland thought it tasted like the Hawaiian rolls.  Interesting.  That was pretty much the taste. 
                When we were living in our last ward, I would usually stock up on bread that I would buy at the second hand bakery near Jenna's school.  One time I remember picking up a large unmarked loaf which I assumed was wheat.  It was a large sized loaf and I sent it to church with Roland as I figured it would last a couple of Sundays.  It was used only that first week as it turned out that it wasn't wheat, but rather a light rye.  I would have never guessed as every time I have seen Rye it has been darker than what I had purchased and has always been a smaller loaf than the standard loaf of bread.

                I didn't notice the expressions that I'm certain the bishopric got to witness - especially with the youth who made faces as they chewed on the bread.  Roland was told that the church is suppose to use either wheat or white - never rye bread.  So there was more than half a loaf let and it should have come home, but those who stayed afterward (such as the some members of the bishopric and clerks) ate the remainder of the bread.  I thought that was quite a lot of bread for just four people to each.

                There was a humorous story shared on LDS Living or another site (I apologize that I am unable to locate the reference now) with a congregation located somewhere in Africa (again, I apologize for the lack of detail) in which it was realized that there was no sacrament bread.  A sister who lived near the ward building volunteered some bread that she had recently baked.  Her husband was sent home to get a loaf but apparently didn't even think to look at the loaves and grabbed the first one.  Something worse than rye in the above example is the surprise they received with jalapeño.  I know that would be a lot more traumatic for my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment