Sunday, December 8, 2019

Light of the Ward


Yesterday was National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.  I noticed the flags lined up and down the bridge as we made our way to the Ward Christmas party.  

We had a brunch this year.  A 10:00 morning meal is great for so many reasons.  Breakfast.  Everything is catered.  No setting up of tables, decorations and so forth just to take it all down again (at least not by the ward members) no responsibilities of signing up to bring a dish in addition to reminder calls and a hodgepodge assortment of food.  I think the greatest plus is that it is light enough to see where we are driving.  The light invites.  Driving in the dark often seems so dismal.

Roland had been asked to play Santa Claus who hasn’t been a part of any ward Christmas that we have been a part of in Oregon.  Roland had memorized a speech about how our focus needs to be on Christ rather than Santa – for Santa wants to worship Christmas in a righteous way and that is why he gives – to follow Christ’s example.  I don’t remember his word-for-word speech, but that was the gist of it.  On Saturday he had spent a good amount of time (not to mention money) looking for bells to announce his arrival.  But when we arrived at the center, he learned that the costume didn’t fit.  At the last minute someone else was given that position.

There were eggs, biscuits and gravy, and pancakes for breakfast.  There was also a program put on by the primary and young women of the ward.  Excellent food.  Excellent company.  Roland ended up driving Jenna and her friend back to the house without me and I ended up catching a ride from somebody else.  But I couldn’t just leave.  I had a friend drive up all the way from Medford.  There were things on her mind that she wanted to share.

At 2:00 there was a primary baptism.  One of the girls had been a sunbeam in my class when we had moved into the ward almost four and a half years ago.  What I thought was most awesome about the baptism was seeing two sisters stand as witnesses for the baptisms.  It is my first time seeing that since it was revealed (see here).  The sister next to me said she wished she could have taken a picture.  It was truly a sensational moment.

We were told that there were some paper hearts on a back table.  We (the congregation) were asked to write notes on hearts to give the girls so they will remember their baptism.  I don’t remember anything about my baptism and had desired to provide them both with as many details as I would like to have in regards to my own baptism.  The hearts were small and I had written tiny – perhaps too tiny.  They also have pictures that have been taken to commemorate the day.  Perhaps my notes will make more sense alongside the pictures.

I had a brain freeze as I wrote - thinking how awesome it was for one of the newly baptized to have both of her grandmothers stand in as witnesses for the baptism.  She is such a special spirit.  I love watching her sing.  She knows all the words and really puts her heart into it.  Her grandmothers witnessed the baptism for both girls.  What a treasure.  

Jenna and her friend had decorated the tree and were watching “A Muppet Christmas Carol” when I returned.

At 5:00 we were scouring for a table at Pizza Palace.  We told the missionaries that we would meet them there.  We had chosen believing that the light parade would be last night, but that will be next week.  Yesterday was the lighting of the Christmas tree.  I don’t know who conducted this year.  The event was supposed to start at 4:00.  It has been cold and wet outside ever since.  Jenna had wanted to go but decided that she would rather eat pizza with the elders.  She really enjoys their company – especially one that she dubbed Elder Connecticut, but he told her not to call him that.  I told him that she preferred it as it has more syllables than his last name – which he understood.  They both feel that long words are more fun to say.  She asked if she could call him “Elder Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia” which he agreed to. 

We parted ways before 7:00 as they had another appointment and we had to get Jenna’s friend back to his house.  I listened to the rain fall as I typed this so I could post it this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment