Monday, December 9, 2019

The Drug Called "Sugar"

For those who have followed Corey's (calls himself Cody) blog but stopped because he did, I have a post he shared to facebook and I have his permission to repost to my blog:


I'm addicted to sugar.

When I say that I don't mean it as a joke. I really have a problem and it affects my health in a negative way.

I love the taste of sugar and I eat way too much of it. I have great difficulty resisting sweets and when I do eat sweets I overindulge (why eat one brownie when you can have six?).

And yet, I am fully aware of how terrible my sugar consumption makes me feel. I sometimes have little energy, I will often just not feel very good, and what's sad is even when I don't feel good I will still indulge in sweets that make me feel even worse. It's like an alcoholic turning to drink or a smoker who can't seem to kick the habit even though he knows he's slowly killing himself.

My mom was diabetic. I myself have been diagnosed with being prediabetic three times and then I'm "good" for a while until I get my sugar level down.

From January from September of 2017 I successfully cut the majority of sugar out of my diet and was eating much better. I felt better, I had more energy, I lost weight. It was good. But still hard. The first three days I stopped eating sugar cold turkey I felt horrible...probably because my body was so used to the constant influx of sugar and I was going through some sort of withdrawal. But I succeeded.

Then I went on vacation and fell off the wagon and haven't ever been able to get back on.

Every night I go to bed and think, "Things gotta change. I've got to eat better." In the morning I wake up with the best of intentions. But I see something sweet and my will power dissolves. And then I eat one thing and want more, even as my nausea is telling my tongue to stop. After I stop feeling terrible, it's hard to remind myself how terrible eating sugar will make me feel.

I don't particularly enjoy exercising, although I try to motivate myself to do so. I fluctuate between anywhere 199 and 216 lbs continually, depending on how diligent I'm being in my eating habits, but it's like everything I crave are the things that aren't as healthy for me.
I only write this because I am aware that I have a problem and maybe if I put this out there I can be more accountable. I see friends of mine who I know have had eating and lifestyle challenges. Some have been more successful in working on those challenges and others still struggle. I just want you to know that if you struggle with your weight and diet, I am in the same boat. And if you have managed to turn the corner and live a more healthy life, what was the turning point for you? How do you stay motivated to eat well and exercise?

Anyway, I just felt the need to put this out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment