Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Day (and Night) Before New Year's Eve



          Roland had tweaked a recipe found in this book:


           The reason being is because we did not have all the required ingredients, but it was good.  A little dry.  The next day I decided I would go to the store and purchase some queso to add to it as Roland made enough for 12 people and we didn’t have that many eating.


           I was just going to go to Ray’s or Dollar General and come right back.  But Roland asked could I pick up this and that and oh, how about some shrimp . . .?  I wasn’t planning on going to Roseburg.  Dollar General doesn’t have shrimp and I doubt Rip Off Rays would have it either.  And if they did . . . really?  Was I willing to max my debit card for the assortment of items?

          Jenna had just barely cleared the table for a day of playing games which turned into another day of grocery shopping.  Well, hey, as long as it became a part of the agenda why not just do something different and go visit the Winco in Grants Pass instead of two different stores in Roseburg (as Costco would not have all the items or maybe we just wanted a sample rather than 90 pounds of whatever). 

         
          On our way to Grants Pass, I received a text from a friend who had wanted to take us to the coast to see the lights at Shore Acres (here) 
This is where we entered to walk around

I think this is the first attraction we saw after the above

this exhibit (or one similar) was just before the gift shop

the lake was gorgeous with reflections of lights and trees


there are rooms to view in the house;
they also served cookies and hot cider


we ate our cookies and cider in the pavillian




          It was almost 12:00 when I received the call and she wanted to leave at 3:00.  I am married to a shopaholic who savors opportunities to pick up merchandise and ponder with real intent  - weighing all reasons (well, most, as money rarely ever seem to be a factor for decision making) to purchase said item.  Roland enjoys shopping.  He relishes the opportunity.  I have made it no secret that I don’t enjoy shopping for anything.  My goal is to get in and get out.  None of this “savor-the-shopping-moment”.  Blah.

Thus on Monday when we were in Grants Pass, I thought I had added reason to hurry our shopping along – growing impatient with Roland's desire to milk every minute on each product as he read each label of different items he'd come across.  I had set a time limit for us to be back on the road so that we would arrive home before Carolyn showed up.  I had deprived him of basking in something that he truly loves.  I need to stop with the unpleasant attitude and be grateful for his enthusiasm and willingness.

With all the correct ingredients, Roland started another batch which he put into the oven just before Carolyn showed.  She had hoped to take all of us, but Roland really didn’t want to spend that much time driving to the coast – which turned out to be longer than either Carolyn or I had anticipated. 

We thought that if we went early enough we could get to the facility and park the car. We didn’t know we’d have to wait in a line of cars for 20 – 40 minutes.  Oh, but it was so beautiful. 
  
Lights created movement of a hummingbird fluttering its wings, frogs, seals, and dolphins jumping into the water.  It was a fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment