Monday, January 13, 2020

Leveling the House



                As I have mentioned in prior posts, the house I live in is manufactured – which means it was built elsewhere and moved to this location.  Manufactured homes were not designed for multiple generations to live in and yet we see a lot of that in this area.  The realty price is always for the land which surrounds the house but not so much for the house itself.  It will always decrease in value.

          Before we had even moved into the house, I noticed a problem with the front door.  It didn’t seem to make a difference whether the knob was locked or not, if we pushed hard enough, we could get in.  But I could never manage to unlock the bolt from the outside and would always go around. 

          The knob on our back door has always worked and over time we were even allowed to use the bolt without having to perfectly line the door into place.  The floor in the kitchen and front room felt weak like we would fall through.  And after Service Master had come and remodeled a part of our house that had flooded two and a half years ago (here) , the floor seemed more level for a while, but gradually fell back into its slump.

          Thus Roland called someone to come out and relevel our house which had probably never been releveled before – even when we purchased the house and it was a requirement – I don’t think whoever did it had actually earned the money we paid.  I’m happy to say that both doors close and lock properly.  No more moisture on the back porch since the roof has been fixed. 

I do hear a creak when I get up in the night and walk from bed to bathroom.  The sound comes deep from underneath the house.   Jenna is upset that the levelers didn’t do their job.  But they did.  The leveling to this side of the house just hasn’t settled – and the floorboards aren’t’ loose like they were in the other rooms.  I think it’s just a matter of time before their isn’t that sound anymore – one that is deep but it isn’t the floor that feels unsteady.  It just sounds like it hasn’t adjusted to its position beneath.



I’ve never been down there nor do I have the desire.  I don’t know how much space is between the house and the ground.  I have seen some houses jacked so high that there appear to be 40 steps or so leading to the house and owners park their car beneath.  I would not want to park my house under a building.  I don’t like the idea of a building falling on my car or being in the building when/if it falls. 

https://modelremodel.com/2016/08/house-lifting/


No comments:

Post a Comment