Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A Week Without Internet - well not quite . . .

         Ive heard it said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions meaning if a person doesnt act upon the thoughts he or she has the purpose is unfulfilled.  For three to four weeks the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint Western Region representatives have been asked to call those that they preside over for ministering assignments call those that they minister to in order to learn how long it would take for everyone in the area to be contacted.  We were given a heads up that we would be making calls on Saturday for a mock earthquake drill which would go into effect that morning.  All of the calls were to be made within a two hour frame beginning at 8:00.

My plan was to offer a fervent prayer before I started calling each of my sisters as I have not had much success at finding many who will answer the phone – especially on a Saturday morning.  No time is a good time and there is no way an earthquake can be scheduled so that everyone could be notified by email.  Chances are high that we will be without internet during an earthquake, possibly without electrical power or cell phone reception.  Ward members would have to be contacted another way.

On Thursday I remembered the mock earthquake would be taking place for Saturday morning.  I hadn’t set a reminder.  I hadn’t checked my email on Friday.  It did appear that the RS pres had tried contacting my phone on Friday night but I was unable to return her call.  I had forgotten about the mock drill. 

On Saturday morning Jenna had turned on a “scary” movie to add to her “31 days of Halloween” that she has attempted each year.  Roland had started out watching with us but seemed to have disappeared for a while. When he finally returned had said he had gotten hold of five of his families.  Earthquake drill!!!!  Oh, no!  I scolded myself for not having remembered and started calling those sisters I have saved to my phone – without having said a prayer before I started.  Of course not a whole lot of sisters had answered their phones.  I left messages with most of them – though I predicted it would be in vain. 

I had told Jenna that I would drive her and another young woman to the dollar store so that they could pick out items for the upcoming activities scheduled for tomorrow and the following week.  As I was headed in that direction anyway I decided to check on two sisters that I hadn’t gotten a hold of.  I pulled into one sister’s driveway sat there while talking on the phone with three different sisters.  By the time I got to the young woman’s house I had received two more phone calls indicating that we were out of time.  What??? It was barely 9:30.  But apparently they had changed the time from 8:00 to an earlier time.  I must say I was quite flustered before 10:00.

Roland has a yard project going that should have been finished but is still in the works.  I don’t know if I was out there with him when he accidently cut the cable.  So on Saturday we were without cable which was not big deal for Jenna and me personally – but losing the internet was a big deal.  Roland would need it for work Monday and Jenna would need it for school.  Jenna asked if she could just stay at the church after seminary in order to do her schooling.  Richard thought he could join her by bringing his work to the church if it came to that.  The earliest the cable company can come is on Thursday.  I currently really don’t need the internet – though I learned there are times in which I can/will miss out by not having it.

  On Sunday Roland was able to get a temporary fix for reception until the cable company can get here.  I was going to remain offline until a more permanent fix.  Only I was asked to post something to the Relief Society page.  I had messages and checked them but not my notifications.  I remained offline yesterday and today Jenna asked for assistance with a question on migrating ancestors and needed to make a connection to find a story that isn’t much of a story after all.  I decided I would go ahead and post to my blog instead of waiting the six days as planned. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment