Monday, October 12, 2020

Praying For The Lincoln Project

         I believe it was Corey’s senior year in high school when the student directory came out.  On the cover was an art student’s work depicting the mascot and school spirit.  He had signed his artwork “Zion” as he had with many (if not all) of his other pieces.  It wasn’t meant to stand out as the main theme of his drawing but rather blend into the design.  However an instructor who was anti-religion especially anti-LDS had discovered the “hidden” Zion and made such a great fuss over it that it drew much more attention to the drawing and the word than was intended. 

            It’s quite a small example of how even negative criticism can be used to boost something positive.  Take the Lincoln Project (here) for instance, a group of former Republicans no longer affiliated with the party either by choice or perhaps they were asked to leave.  Each may have killed their political career for not standing by Trump.  They now create anti-Trump ads which frankly are quite clever.  Of course, Trump gets mad and has to tweet to his followers about how “fake” it is which evidently works to the advantage of the Lincoln project according to this interview with 60 minutes.

            I don’t know any of those who personally started the Lincoln Project but I know many who support their cause.  An entire family in Utah who would campaign and run for office under the Republican party are advocates of NOT voting for Trump.  And I respect them.  I know them.  I have had intimate conversations with many family members who are involved.  All of the people I know who are anti-Trumpers are highly educated, focused, learned in a variety of topics, well read.  I’m learning that I really don’t know my Trump supporting friends, and many of the ones I do know seem have their heads in the same mind-set as these people.

            Our nation is hurting.  Our nation is not going to heal in the next four years if Trump is voted back into office.  And even if he’s not, he already made it known that he is not exiting gracefully.  I think it’s the only thing he’s ever said that I actually believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment