Monday, August 13, 2018

I Think the Eggplant Proves That God Has a Sense of Humor


                If death was edible, I would imagine that it tastes very much like eggplant.  I don't even know what else to compare the taste to - except for maybe vomit.  It's not even overpowering.  Mostly it is dull, but there is a hint of bitterness that makes my tongue break out into absolute disgust.  Aside from their revolting taste (and often texture) eggplants are deceiving.


Eyes may think this might be a potato and pickles - means major disappointment for the mouth

                 First of all, there's the name.  As a child, I was impressed by the very idea of eggs growing on a plant instead of waiting for a chicken to lay it. According to a few of the websites I have visited into my curiosity of why eggplants even exist, I came across a few pictures of the eggplant in which the plant is named after.  Yes, they do resemble the eggs of chickens at a glance.  Apparently, eggplants come in varieties.  I wasn't familiar with the white egg-shaped eggplants.  I've only had tastes of the purple kind.  Another deception.

retrieved from Quora
                 Purple is the color of grape jelly, boysenberry syrup, and blackberry pie - all sweet and delicious to my pallet.  An eggplant is neither sweet nor delicious.  It is beautiful in color before it's cooked.  But then it gets diced and squashed and mixed.  I guess I've had some okay dishes that might have had a better than okay rating if the eggplant had been removed.  It doesn't seem to matter how much salt, garlic, or butter is added. I just don't understand why anyone would have an intentional desire for it.  And so I have researched the subject just a bit.


                According to Healthline (here) the eggplant is rich in nutrients and antioxidants.  There are many definitions for the word antioxidant.  I personally think it's another word to explain a nasty taste.  The eggplant MAY reduce the risk of a heart disease.  It MAY promote blood sugar control.  It COULD  help with weight loss.  How could it not?  Seriously, how could a person ever gain weight from a horrible tasting plant?   Okay, so perhaps there are some benefits to eating eggplant.  There are also benefits to eating kale and broccoli.  Wish there were as many benefits to eating chocolate - more specifically, chocolate chip cookies.  

retrieved from Femme Auctuelle Cookie Maison


                Great chocolate chip cookies require eggs.  Nothing great requires eggplant.


 other eggplant sites

http://www.indepthinfo.com/eggplants/history.htm

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-is-it-called-an-eggplant




3 comments:

  1. I personally don't mind eggplant,myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part I think you and I have always seemed to differ on food taste. For instance, I love seafood. You and Jenna may view it the same as I view eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually can tolerate seafood better than I once could. It's still not my favorite but every once in a while, I'll eat a fish sandwich. I think I learned how to like fish when I was pregnant. It's recommended to eat fish while pregnant.

      Delete