Sunday, August 19, 2018

Dinner on the Deck




                Dinner was very nice.  There was a lot of food.  Halibut steak cooked to perfection, clam chowder, shrimp, carrots, jumbo baked potato and roll provided by Midtown Grill.  I enjoyed the food but did feel like a fish out of water.  Some people have money and are willing to share.  I think others just want to make an appearance.  But that's all speculation on my part.  I had four of the five people at our dinner table - my "close-knit-pool-group" and Sue's husband.  I saw a couple from our ward and Susan who has come to our swim class this year and whom Jaime and I had assisted with the Riddle booth during SummerFest here.
 
                There were over a hundred people for the turn-out at the pool.  The deck had been set up for 18 tables with six chairs at each table.  Carolyn seemed to know a lot of people - mostly former students that she had taught - or their parents.  Dan made jokes about how prestige it was to be with a near-celebrity which Carolyn didn't agree with.  I think Dan probably knew the least amount of people from all of us.  

                Of course, we all know Josh and many of the lifeguards by name.  Sebastian, who had been Jaime's swim instructor the year we had moved in, had been assigned as our waiter.  I really enjoy how the community pulls together and create a positive environment.  The man at our table whom I had not met until last night had given a brief history of the project of building the pool back in 1963.  Evidently, there had been statics given for each year children had died playing in creeks and rivers.  One of the ideas behind building the pool was to teach the community's children how to swim.

photos by Joe Glaspie

                Sue's husband took several pictures.  I hope I will have an opportunity to see some of them.
                 I brought my cheesecake home mostly because I didn't have room for it, but also wanted to share with Roland and Jenna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment