Wednesday, August 22, 2018

No Dice





                I don't know how old the "Feature Films for Families" is.  The earliest date I can find for my research is 1991.  But it seems like my mom purchased films through the company long before then.  Perhaps I am mixed up with my memory thinking that Kayla and Corey were still in elementary school, but maybe it was 1991 and the children were Ellen and Kimball.
               
                I remember "Banjo, the Woodpile Cat" which I believed was an original of the FFFF company as the story takes place in Payson, Utah before Banjo runs away to Salt Lake City.  According to Wikipedia (here), the release date was December 21, 1979.  It makes more sense that FFFF got its start in the 70s rather than in the 90's as the quality of film I've come across has been screaming 70's - although the dates on the case imply years from the 1990 decade.

                FFFF (here) was created with the intention of wholesome entertainment to not only watch with the family but establish conversations and learning.  "What was the purpose of the film" broken down into "Why do you think this character made a certain choice?" and "What did he/she learn?"

                Last year I came home with a box of videos that the library had given away.  There were many from the FFFF collection - some I had seen before but thought I might like to see again.

                I don't know why I hadn't tried viewing any of them sooner, but they stayed untouched for almost a year.  Recently I decided I would watch some of them.  So far, while the stories themselves have been okay or even good, the acting and/or quality of film have been disappointing.  It doesn't know that I was bothered by it before, but a lot of it thus far has appeared amateurish to my eyes.   Some I have finished watching.  Some I watch in parts.  Others I have stopped and rewound and will never finish.

                I have started a pile of antique relics that most people may not even have machines for.  They will go in the next yard sale at 10 cents or less.  I hope that they will find a good home.  I like the concept of the FFFF.  I even see some on their list that I have enjoyed and would watch again.  But thus far, I have not seen it among the VHS tapes that are currently in our possession.


No comments:

Post a Comment