Saturday, December 29, 2018

December 23


        We arrived in Salt Lake before 10:00 pm mountain time.  I texted my families to let them know we were in town but that we'd be calling it a night and they could come visit the following day.  Three times Randy had asked if we would be going to church with him and Carrie.  Truthfully, I thought that we would still be on the road and so hadn't packed any church clothes. 

        I don't know what time we ate breakfast, but we had enough time to make it to a ward (church) that we had formally attended (had we thought about it). Kayla had also invited us saying her church started at 12:30.  I had never been one that was a big fan of the afternoon time - especially while traveling.  If Kayla's ward had started earlier, I may have gone as I do know other members in her ward.  I think Bill and Kayla were the only family members to attend services that day as at least two of my boys cancelled church or just did not make it in time.

        Two of the boys came to our hotel room before noon.  Roland announced that Tony would not be coming, and we made plans to go and eat.  After we had ordered, Tony called to say that they were on the street near our hotel.  I gave him the IHOP address and we had one version of Christmas dinner there.  Randy, determined that we would come to his house one way or another, invited the entire family to have a "breakfast" dinner at his house the following day (Christmas Eve).  What pleased me the most was the idea of easing the expense of our own wallet).

        It was suggested that after we leave IHOP, we drive back to the hotel and meet in the lobby for some games.  Tony had to work, but said he could join us for about an hour.  As they were the last ones to get their food, they were also the last to leave IHOP.  Meanwhile Randy decided that everybody should go swimming first.  He obviously hadn't considered Tony or his family who didn't have their suits nor the time really. 

        While the rest of the family engaged themselves at the pool, I took the opportunity to visit with Tony and Rochelle.  I rarely ever get to do that without a crowd of others surrounding us.  It was really nice to visit without interruptions or manipulative behavior from other parties.  It was quiet and we were able to listen to one another and learn things that had taken place since last time we saw one another. They left before the others got out of the pool.

        Biff had requested that we bring the game Baulderdash - which we did.  I know a game was started, but neither Claire nor I had participated.  She was not feeling well and had gone to our room to lay down.  I volunteered to watch my three-year-old granddaughters so that the others could play.  We ordered pizza and eventually Biff and Claire left to run errands.  The pizza came before the game was complete and Jenna and I boxed it up before the girls had more opportunity to lose more parts.

        Ally had already broken one of the game pieces.  There were tears in Jenna's eyes as she said, "I guess that saying is right: 'You can never go home again.'"

        Kayla and Bill had another family party to go to on Sunday night but had called to see if we would like to go see lights at Temple Square.  Randy led us all to the TRAX station so that we could take the train - which was very crowded - though not as crowded as Temple Square.  We did not meet up with the family right away.  Once again, it was Randy who led us around like a herd of cattle.  He called the shots, but I didn't follow.  Eventually I did meet up with Bill. It appeared that at least two of the children did not wish to be there.


       
        I realize that I did not have the greatest attitude.  My pretzelfied body felt ready to snap.  I was sore, achy, cranky.  I tried so hard not to be.  I enjoy seeing the nativity scenes at the plaza but did not feel the physical strength.  

I had taken this one the year before we moved to Oregon

This is on Temple Square, but I did not see it this year

I also had a problem with the tremendous amount of people which somehow made me feel insignificant and lost in the crowd.  We did not visit for long as neither of Kayla's boys seemed particular interested in being there. They were tired.  I was tired.  I'm guessing at least half of us were. Each of us separated ways as we watched Kayla chase after BJ with his second meltdown.  Jenna walked toward City Gate with Randy and Carrie.  Biff, Roland, Claire, Ally and I took the train back and walked to the hotel.  

       Randy, Carrie, Jenna and Devin were already at the hotel when we arrived.  We said our good-byes and Roland invited anyone who wanted to come join us for breakfast. Jenna and I made use of the pool and spa before we went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment