Friday, December 14, 2018

Stay On Task - Don't Go Ahead!


I've been working at various schools substituting for aides who need the time off for whatever reason.  This week I observed two different classes react differently to the same set of instructions:


            "We will be doing these problems as a class.  Follow my instruction.  I will give you time to finish each problem.  Stay on task.  Do not go ahead of your classmates.  It's important that we do this together."

            The first group did not even make the attempt to follow the directions.  Each had a private race against the other classmates.  Most of them really did seem to understand what was expected on the worksheets but still lacked in following the direction of staying on task and not moving ahead.

            The second group stayed on task and focused.  Though many of the answers were displayed on the board, none wrote the answer on his or her worksheet until the class members were instructed to do so.  The instructor paused with every problem and asked if there were any questions or if anyone need more time to finish writing the answer.

            The children from the first class had raced ahead and run out of work.  They got bored.  There may have been some who were bored in the second group as well, but they understood that their boredom would only get worse by racing ahead.

            Sadly, I saw myself in the first class more than the second and felt ashamed because I had missed out on so much.  By trying to move ahead on my own, I had deprived myself of more learning as I was focused on "moving ahead" rather than "staying on task" that I had missed much of what was being taught.

            As I observed the second group, I was amazed at the metaphors that went through my head as I realized that it isn't just with written assignments in which we need to need to stay on task and not move ahead but we need to be aware of this in our everyday lives.  Perhaps if we all stayed on task and waited for everyone else to catch up and support one another, there would be less problems with crime and negative attitudes.   Instead of moving ahead, we could assist one another at helping all of us to stay on task.  No one would move ahead and therefore no one would get left behind. I think by following these simple instructions we could make this world a better place.

1 comment: