Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A Mother's Day talk for Christmas



            In November of 2016, I felt impressed to write a talk about Mother's Day.  I started my research and played around with different ideas.  May came and went and I wasn't asked to talk.  In fact, there was little mention about it even being Mother's Day.  The first speaker truly loves Mother's Day and I think must have desired for a Mother's Day program.  She expressed her gratitude for Mother's Day and then went into her talk which had nothing to do with Mother's Day at all.

            Perhaps the Bishop had changed the theme to spare the feelings of oh, so many who despise the holidays as it may trigger reminders of estranged relationships, imperfect relationships, non-existing relationships, or discomfort.  I realize that not everybody loves Mother's Day.  I know of several women who refuse to attend meetings on that day because of painful reminders or words mentioned that tend stir up negative emotion.

          Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis provided nurturing by setting up work clubs to improve health and sanitation in various towns in Virginia.  Despite her personal tragedies, Ann Marie never stopped her community service.  Upon her death, her daughter, Anna, received a great deal of cards and expression from the community about the great feats provided by not only Ann Jarvis but the community as well.  They provided nurturing.

https://www.today.com/parents/meet-anna-jarvis-founder-fighter-mother-s-day-t110796

            Anna envisioned Mother's Day as a celebration of the home and all that your mother did for you. "On the second Sunday in May of 1907, Anna held a small memorial service for her mother at Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church in Grafton, Va. The mourners present received a white carnation, which had been Ann Marie's favorite flower. Anna organized another one a year later, and this service is generally accepted as the first official Mother's Day event." This holiday was designed not only to honor the mother of Anna Jarvis, but the women of the community as well.  It was more than just about motherhood.  It was designed to honor nurturing.

            If I were to talk just about my own Mother, I could easily fill an entire meeting with stories and examples, but I know that all mothers are not like my mother nor are all relationships like the one that my sibs and I have and have had with my mother.  I know that there are many who do not honor their mothers or feel honored by their own children.  I know many woman who are not mothers and most likely will not be during this lifetime.  Why should they be made to sit through a meeting honoring something that they don't feel they'll ever be?

            I was raised in a fairly new neighborhood.  On our street there were at least 30 houses at the top half where I lived, and although not all houses had children living at there,  there had to have been 50 - 60 kids just on the top half of our street.  At that time it was the norm for the mom to stay home and take care of the children while dad was at work.  We fit the 60's stereotype in which the man was the bread winner and would take the garbage to the curb and the mother would stay home, bake bread and cookies, rear her children, and was always pregnant. I remember having known only one mother who worked outside of the home.  The rest of the mothers in the neighborhood seemed to have a hand in raising all the children.

            Each of them had a similar method for nurturing yet many of them varied in how they disciplined and the manner of tone in their voices.  I came to know many mothers when I was young.  Each tried to raise her kids in a similar manner and yet all were different.  Each had come from a background different from my own mother's.

            Take our neighbor across the street, for instance.  She had four boys at the time.  Each time a new son was born, she would talk to him and praise the baby's older brother which allowed the older brother understand how important and valued he was though the baby may have required more attention at given times.

            Peggy had been raised in American Fork with a family who was very active in church and had learned all domestic ways of life.  My own mom had been raised in San Francisco with very inactive church attendees.  Her mom and dad had divorced when she was thirteen.  She became a latch key kid and she took charge of helping her mom with nurturing her brothers.

            I don't know how old I was when I learned that Peggy despised Mother's Day.  I was shocked.  How could anybody possibly hate Mother's Day? I LOVED Mother's Day.  It was an opportunity to spend time with dad as he took my brother and I shopping to find a gift for mom and grandma.  On Sunday, the primary was able to participate in sacrament meeting when we sang to all of our mothers.  I didn't fully understand the reason behind the holiday, but I thought it was a cool holiday and thought it would be an even better holiday when I too became a mother. I still don't know what reasons she had to despises the holiday though I have made speculations.
           
            There are many definitions of what makes a mother.  Most definitions agree that she is a provider of affection, care, nurture, rearing children, etc.  I have never once seen a definition which makes the mother out to be perfect or says that all relationships between mother and child are perfect or that a mother's attitude is always perfect.  Mothers ARE NOT perfect.  Relationships are not perfect.  The only perfect person who ever walked this earth is our Savior, Jesus Christ.  He wasn't a mother.  And yet we have been given a metaphor of Christ being compared to a mother hen.
    
https://www.circleofhope.net/dailyprayerdeeper/2016/09/15/september-15-2016-listening-julian-norwich/
       
            In this article, we are told about the relationship between the hen and her chicks.  Christ provides nurturing and protection. People make mistakes and sometimes may not seem capable of providing nurturing, but there are so many who can.  Some who aren't even biological mothers.  Some who aren't even women. Aside from a cousin living in Salem, Roland, Jenna and I don't have biological roots in Oregon.  The ward we attend has become our family.  I have been impressed by the nurturing welcome we received from so many members.  Our friend Marva, who is currently taking the discussions, and who has set her baptismal date for December 29, has said the same thing.

            She was not raised by her own mother.  She hasn't experienced the visitations with grandma.  She has two children but has not been allowed to raise them both.  She hasn't had much exposure to nurturing but does understand its value.  We are all capable of receiving and providing some kind of nurturing.  Keep that thought the next time Mothers' Day should come around.  Value the virtue.  Honor the nurturer - whether your mom, your neighbor, or maybe someone you just read about.  It doesn't have to be a day of negative emotion.  Focus on the blessings.

           Just for the record I don't dislike Mother's Day but I certainly don't love it.  Sometimes it will fall on the same date as my oldest son.  I would rather celebrate his birthday than Mother's Day. [Type Mother's Day in the box in the top left hand corner next to the B in the orange box.  That may give you more insight about tolerating Mother's Day]

No comments:

Post a Comment