Saturday, July 4, 2020

The Cost of Freedom

What is freedom?  Ask a 100 people and you may get a 100 answers.  Some people may have provided a different answer last year in regards with how they may answer today.

It’s the 4th of July, our nations holiday.  It was my late daughter-in-law’s favorite holiday.  I think of that each year since she died. 

Our nation’s white holiday – though I had never viewed it that way before until after my husband and I saw this yesterday on CBS This Morning. Wow.

I had always believed I have an appreciation and understanding of black history.  I am familiar with Fredrick Douglas, Harriett Tubman, Ruby Bridges and Martin Luther King, Jr.  I am familiar with the works of Phyllis Wheatley, Paul Dunbar and Langston Hughes.  I love Langston Hughes.  I’ve had a few black friends over the years that I have never labeled as my “black friends” except for the purpose of this post.  

 As I realize my knowledge of black history and appreciation of their strengths I have noticed many of my own ignorance’s during this bizarre historical year. I don't know what it's like to be pulled over or be discriminated against because of my race.  I don't know what it's like to be watched as though I'm viewed as a potential threat.  And yet have found intolerance of others’ ignorance – which isn’t right.  I suppose each of us have some degree of ignorance – whether it’s race, religion, law enforcement, government . . .

Not too long ago I read this post by Darin Simpson.  I have since read some of his other posts and find I agree with many of his thoughts.  

I don’t view the flag the same as I used to as our country is so torn and the nationalists or Republicans are waving the same flag as the Democrats who are called mask-wearing sheep – though I don’t think everyone who claims to be a Democrat is wearing a mask, nor do I believe all Repulicans are rebelling as though they are all experiencing PMS.

I have freedoms and should be able to smoke wherever I want.  

    And what about the freedoms of the non-smoker? 

I have freedoms and not have to wear a seat-belt when I drive. 

    The seat belt is there to insure your safety should you get into an accident.  I know of more cases where a seat-belt was credited for saving a life than doing harm

I have freedoms and shouldn’t have to vaccinate my child in order to send him to public school.

    Again it’s a safety issue.  I do know of cases where the vaccine has had a negative effect.  There are pros and cons to every issue.  Someone thinks they are gaining a freedom while someone else may view it as costing a freedom.

So it is with the mask wearers and non-supportive mask wearers.  The argument is that we wear as mask to protect other people vs. wearing a mask will make me sick.  Sure – if you wear the same mask all the time.  Infection of false news travels can faster on social media than does the contaminants of COVID19. Wash.  Dispose.  Change the mask more constantly than you change your underwear. 

There’s argument that the government is become a dictatorship to take our freedoms away.  Trump doesn’t wear a mask.  And yet I see him as the Hitler and all his bully followers as Nazis. 

My flag continues to fly in my yard.  It is dull and very faded.  I see it as a symbolic image of this country.  I will take it down in September.  I don’t know when or if it will ever get replaced.  I see more positive feedback and concern than I do the nationalists – but as the direction of our future is uncertain, so is the future of replacing my flag.


No comments:

Post a Comment