Friday, July 24, 2020

A Journey of Memories of a Great Magazine

        The Reader’s Digest is nearly a century old. I remember seeing it in the mail when I was younger.  I did not recognize it as a magazine as it always appeared like a paperback book – except for the table of contents were on the front cover and the picture was on the back.

          Unfortunately I cannot find anything on the web to support my memories of the Weekly Reader and the Reader’s Digest used in classrooms.  I remember having read stories in at least three of them.  I even had one in my collection before we moved to Oregon.  One specific story I remember featured George Washington Carver.  After each story we read were followed by questions that we were required to answer and turn in.

According to this site each issue contained 31 articles and best stories submitted.  To the best of my knowledge it has always included insightful tips and powerful experiences shared.  It wasn’t until after college that I began to appreciate it however.  I ordered my own subscription which was eventually changed to the same address as my mom’s.  Therefore we were getting duplicate magazines.

I remember my sister tearing off the back cover each month and attaching it to her wall.  She thought they were pretty to look at.  Reader’s Digest did have some fun covers. 

The magazine has gone through makeovers and now has a picture on front and table of contents inside.

 

I like holding a book and the Reader’s Digest is still the perfect size.  Last month featured a couple of stories when the pandemic first began.  Touching was the first article “Staying Positive” which tells the story of two men, John, who lost his wallet and Alex who found it.  John had seen Alex as a hero and offered a cash reward but Alex didn’t want (nor expect) it and then John, remembering some extra rolls of toilet paper in his car, offered to share his toilet paper with Alex.  Alex, who was in need for his family, then saw John as the true hero.

It’s a fun and informative book.  I am grateful for my memories associated with this magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment