Saturday, July 18, 2020

Church in the Heart

                Recently someone posted that the churches were closed in California – again.  It had been posted in the World Wide Unified Group – which has become a support group among various faiths originally to join in a fast and now to continue with prayers. I’m sure there was disappointment as she created her post – probably even more when the administrators shut off the ability to receive comments.  I  understand why they did it – to avoid confrontation and politics.  There are several cases of outbreaks due to large indoor gatherings.  Church just happens to be one of those indoor gatherings that isn’t immune to the virus. 

These are just three sites of many
here, here and here 

            Church does not have to be a large gathering of people sitting on pews inside of a building.  We can worship within our hearts. We can have virtual meetings – which isn’t the same as meeting in person, but you can still grow and develop understanding.  We read scriptures.  We watch videos.  We study online.  God hasn’t abandoned us.  He hasn’t put our learning on hold.  It is up to each one of us to find Him and do it safely and right now large indoor gatherings isn’t safe.

            I remember reading a Norman Vincent Peale book or possibly one he had endorsed – I remember his name was on the cover. I remember one experience was a “drive-in” church that had been created for those who weren’t comfortable in a brick-and-mortar church because of what they wore or because they worked on Sundays and didn’t have time to change, because they had to stay home with an ailing parent, spouse or kids . . . there were as many reasons as people.  That might work for this particular year – but I can’t find anything on the internet about the existence of such . . . perhaps I’m just not looking hard enough.

            The point is church doesn’t have to be a social gathering if the sole purpose of going to church is to worship or learn about God.  That can be done outdoors while looking at nature.  

https://www.facebook.com/thenatureconservancy/

https://www.countryliving.com/life/enter
tainment/g18924890/nature-quotes/

wikipedia photo

It can be through prayer or writing down questions we may have and then researching the answers on our own. Earlier this month we learned that we would have the opportunity to attend church at the end of this month but that has been postponed again - I'm thinking it's highly possible that we won't be meeting as a congregation again this year.

            I have missed my ward (church) family tremendously but I have discovered so many things about God’s plan and symbolism and building my own faith.  2020 is not particularly a year I will care to remember overall – at the same time I have developed so many strengths I hope to never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment