Thursday, July 9, 2020

Thank Goodness for the Supreme Court

Earlier this week I found this post of a friend’s timeline.  Trump’s campaign was built on hate, so what’s his problem?  Oh, could it be that the public schools are closed?  Get them reopen so that we can promote hate!  Trump is going to bully himself right out of office.  What exactly is going through his head threatening the country about reopening schools (here and here)

My sister asked my opinion about what to do about returning to school.  At first I thought I would leave the decision up to Jenna, but the more I think about it, the more miffed I am.  What is Trump’s game plan here? Is he hoping to kill off teachers by exposing them to a wide variety of germs?  Like they don’t have enough to deal with – now they have to stop their lessons to remind students to to keep their masks on, don’t touch other children, don’t play with the Plexiglas . . .” Come on.

I sent my sister this email this morning.

“My post today will be about how I predict that Trump may end up bullying himself out of office.  He has ordered ALL schools to reopen - otherwise he is not going to fund them.  I work for the school system and have made the decision NOT to return to work this year.  It's crazy.  I don't know that children will be effected as much as adults - who seem to pick up kids germs without the COVID.  I don't know if the teachers have been threatened that if they don't return they will never be able to get jobs as instructors in the future.  What future?  If more than half the population ends up getting COVID workers will need to be replaced, right?  Those that have allowed Trump to bully them will have to end up hiring those that refused to teach during this time.  But you know me.  I will not be bullied.  Jaime may be miffed with me at first, but I'm going to go ahead and sign her up for online.  It's not the ideal - but neither is living by conditions that are not the norm.  Same with your situation.  The learning environment in 2020 is going to suck.  I hope that I'm wrong.  I hope everything returns to normal - but I have my doubts.  Anyway, there's my two cents.  I know it's frustrating to have all three home and try to be parent and teacher - but I think I would rather be frustrated than worry about the unknown . . . "will my child be okay?  Will another student infect my child and bring the disease home to us?  Will the children act up and start protests of their own?  Will my children get hurt because of the frustration and limitations that are being enforced?  Will Trump send in authorities such as the ones in Germany and turn my kids into Nazis?"  Just saying.  United States is a lot bigger than Germany - more schools.  I don't think Trumps organized enough to reach them all.  The fact that he is saying this is mandatory . . . that is enough for me to say NO

from Denver Now

Staff were telling students to cover mouth, stay home, blow their nose . . . whatever long before COVID made its way to the states.  If children's germs spread during the winter months without COVID, how do we expect them to keep from spreading during COVID?  Socialization is good for students - especially for those who don't have sibs. But wearing masks and keeping them (or attempting to) at a distance does not help the socialization.  I think it hinders it.


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear what the prophet has to say about the reopening of schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you see the youtube video I have on my wall? Features Anderson Cooper who really rags on Trump. I'm not returning for employment. Temples are in phase one and opening slowly. You know the patrons are going to respect the requirements. Kids are not. I think reopening the schools is like signing a death wish.

    ReplyDelete