Friday, July 3, 2020

Morning Drive

I leave the house between 5:00 and 5:30

before the sun has risen but still light enough to see. 

I will drive Jenna and her friends to the blueberry patch

and drop them off just before six. 

The last few mornings I’ve driven Jenna by herself

 

Occasionally I will see deer. 

Jenna and I spotted one the other day

a young dough trying to push her head through the fence

wanting to get inside but not sure how. 

I have seen a young stag grazing near the shoulder of

the highway imagining that he would return to the fold

and tell all of his friends,

“Yes.  The cars were this close to me, but I wasn’t scared.”

 

Anther young stag who didn’t appear to be in

his right mind staggered across the street

as though he was drunk.  Another young stag still

who waited for me to pass unlike the doe in this post.

 I hadn’t seen that before and marveled that

he would stop and wait like a human who had

been trained to look both ways before crossing.

 

Usually I see a human couple walking along the road

but did not see them this morning. 

The skies appear to be hazy like when

there is smoke in the air not like the clean fog

but perhaps it was fog as the haze disappears

as the sun makes its way across the sky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment