Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I Don't Think it Should Feel Like Outer Darkness


Half an hour early is
still not early, not 
enough time to get a 
seaton the pew.
One hour early would
not be enough time.

You'd have to get there at
6:00 before the doors open.
You and whatever other
vultures are waiting in the
parking lot.

If you come any time after
8:00, you have to sit on the
hard folding chairs that are
smashed so near one another
that you will feel like a sardine.

It is possible for me to sit in
certain chairs for two hours,
but not those hard folding chairs
made for thin people.
Give me a recliner, or at least something
big and soft.

During morning conference, I was
standing by the wall just as much as
I was sitting down.  The second time
I got up, Roland got up also
but then he disappeared.

Jenna asked where he had gone.  I
didn't know and so went to
look for him.  I found him out
in the foyer, sitting in a comfortable
red chair.  I knew he
wasn't feeling great and asked if
he wanted to leave.

He said all of the talks
sounded the same.  I don't
think all of them did.  But I
haven't felt the misery he
is feeling since we lived in
Salt Lake.

Probably when I was that
miserable, I thought all the
talks sounded alike and would
much rather be in bed than on
a hard folding chair looking
at a screen because
we are too far away to see
the actual speaker.
We might as well be
on the stage, furthest from the 
speakers.  That is where
Jenna wanted to sit.  Not me.

We sat on the stage last year and
it was dark.  When I stood up, I
thought I would trip as I tried to
adjust myself around the seats.  I
wonder if we could be allowed to
sit on the seats behind the podium.
(There are two stages I guess; one
in the chapel - though we don't really
call it a stage; the stage is in the 
cultral hall opposite of where the
speaker stands. I would be willing 
to speak if that
could be the only way for me
to get a more comfortable seat. 

When I am watching
General Conference on
the screen at home, I get more out of
it than if I am at the conference center and
the speaker is the size of
a dot.  For the most part there are
fewer distractions at home and so
I can concentrate better on
the speakers' messages.  
 Not always.

No comments:

Post a Comment