Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Two Dishes

           I must have at least a dozen posts in which I mention that I really dont enjoy cooking.  Roland does.  If he was not in my life and it was only Jenna and me well, wed be living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and milk.  I can follow a recipe, but cooking requires heat.  I hate the heat.

          Most of the time I have cooked dinner Roland doesnt like it.  It surprises me that there are two things he does request of me.  Two Separate dishes: Potato salad and Ham chowder.  Neither which I have a recipe for but have done from memory.

          My mom was not the greatest cook but then Ive never had a sophisticated pallet and so never saw my mom as a lousy cook.  She wasnt lousy.  Her food was edible, but it was mostly survival food at least compared to Rolands. I never thought of mom’s food as bland until after I was married.

          I remember seeing seasonings in the cupboards though not a lot.  I dont think she seasoned or even salted her food. We had family staples such as spaghetti, hamburger-rice casserole, and ham chowder for instance.  She seemed to do a lot more cooking when Patrick and I were younger than she had after Corey and Kayla had come along.  

          I remember mom teaching Patrick and I how to make different foods.  We each made a loaf of French bread as she demonstrated.  I also remember her teaching me ham chowder.  She said you start with a rue a flour and butter base.  You make a ball and slowly add canned milk and stir it in to keep it thickened.  When I told Roland that was how you start, he didnt know what a rue was.  I dont know if that was the word my mom told me.  The spelling that I used does not have a definition for cooking thickener. 

               [The correct spelling is R-O-U-X.  I now understand why I couldn't find it.]

          I have made potato salad more than I have ham chowder.  It has mostly been spontaneous because the potatoes need to be used up.  I prefer olives in my potato salad though olives have not always been available at the time Roland wants me to make potato salad.  Not everybody likes olives.  I know my youngest daughter-in-law does not.

            Roland’s latest request was for ham chowder.  I personally think it’s too hot for soups or hot chocolate. Nonetheless I made chowder yesterday.  I think it is one of the better ones I have ever made.


No comments:

Post a Comment