Thursday, August 6, 2020

Now It Seems So Final

         I’ve seen memory posts about walking Jenna to preschool and kindergarten – some comments about those who cried when they had to leave their child.  I didn’t cry when we lived in Kearns.  I did when we moved to West Valley.  Jenna was still in kindergarten in a school that wasn’t academically challenging.  She would cry as we walked to the bus stop and I would cry when I turned around to come home.

          Rather than torture us both by returning her to that elementary school I put her in a dual immersion program (here).  I cried again when she started sixth grade in Oregon and no longer a part of dual immersion.  This year it doesn’t seem to matter if she stayed with dual immersion or not. This year has been tough.

          I may have mentioned that I signed her up for online schooling which will start by the end of this month. She would rather be with her friends – but she won’t be happy with the new environment that is part of the school curriculum.   When the schools closed in March and she had online learning she really wasn’t challenged.  I’m sure the district did the best they could with the resources they had – working harder than when the students were in school.  I think Oregon Charter Academy will be a better fit for her at this time.

          Anyway we were contacted yesterday to submit her transcript.  The person I had to talk to was out of the office and so I left a message and said I would email her the request.  I told her how much I have enjoyed the district but with this odd year I think it best not to continue though the online learning they have available may be better than what was offered in April and May – but I don’t know.  I just felt this other option was the way to go.

          She returned my email with a reply for my kind words and Jenna’s transcript which I forwarded to the principal of Oregon Charter Academy. There are still tears in my eyes as I write this as it feels so permanent.  She has two years left.  I don’t know if she’ll return to South Umpqua or not.  And it hurts.


No comments:

Post a Comment