Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Dash HH #10


  What city do you consider your "home town"?



          I grew up in an unincorporated area which meant our town did not have its own jurisdiction . Though we used a Midvale address, we were not really a part of it - or at least that was my understanding.  I do remember just before or shortly after I went to junior high, there was talk of our unincorporated being annexed to Murray.  That was a proposal brought up by one individual named Mr. Card.  I remember several people being upset about it. 
           
            I remember a meeting had taken place at East Midvale Elementary School.  We had gone there like so many others to understand more about what was taking place.  I remember one individual in particular who spoke up for the boundaries to be left alone.  His son, Louie, was in my same grade and he had at least one other son named Phil.  I did not care for either Louie or Phil, but have never forgotten their dad standing up for us.  Mr. M. lived on the other side of 7200 which was not a part of the annex but he said the annex, though maybe not directly, would affect him because we were his neighbors and that did affect him.  We allowed him to be our voice when he said things about Mr. Card's proposal, and that if he wanted to be a part of Murray so much, he should just move there and leave the rest of us alone.  Almost everybody cheered.
           
            I don't know if the proposal ever made it to the ballots or not as I didn't vote and my viewpoint of the annex I'm certain was not the same as the adults who paid taxes.  I only know that the non incorporated boundaries using a Midvale address remained using a Midvale address.  I don't know what became of Mr. Card or if he took Mr. M's advice and moved to Murray.  It doesn't matter.  I didn't care about him then.  Why should today be any different?  He may be deceased right now along with many others who were at that meeting.

            Several years later - when Kayla was old enough to vote, an issue that had made it to the ballot for incorporating the boundaries as part of Midvale or becoming our own independent city called "Union" - I remember several who campaigned for the idea of "Union" believing it would create more jobs and result in being a positive thing.  Evidently not everybody felt that way however as "Union" never came about and we were incorporated into Midvale.  I must have voted for Union as most every issue or person I have voted for throughout my life has not won.  But I never did like that name for a city.  

           I grew up with a Midvale address.  It is the one place where I have lived longer than all other cities combined.  When I get asked the name of my hometown or where I'm from,  I am from Midvale, Utah.  Love Oregon, but Midvale is my hometown.  Or was. 

1 comment:

  1. Though I consider Midvale my home town, I always tell people I'm from Salt Lake

    ReplyDelete