Friday, January 4, 2019

Bi-weekly word: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Well, I was going to save this for next week, but might as well post this right now as I have learned one of my assignments for next week is quite time consuming and I'm wondering if I will be able to post at all.  Only two and a half accounting classes to go.  June will be here in no time.

The word " Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" has 15 syllables.  15!  It's a real word that rolls of Jenna's tongue the way "sunset" or "syllable" might roll off my own tongue.  The word "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" means "the fear of long words".  Well, that is just rude to saddle on one who has said phobia.  The origin and breaking apart of the 15 syllable word are found in this post by Jacob Oleson.

Jenna LOVES long words.  The more syllables it contains, the better the word, in her opinion.  Oh, she is not an avid speller of words, not even phonetically (which Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia appears to be for the most part.  Spelling has never been her thing.  But saying words and understanding their definitions.  Hey, if the word contains more than four syllables, she's all over it. It isn't just a recent thing either.  She has always had a fascination for big words.  

When she was two, she would say the words "Hippopotamus" and "Rhinoceros" as though it was perfect acceptable for a two-year-old to adapt 4 and 5 syllable words into their vocabulary.  I told her she could say "Hippo" and "Rhino" in order to shorten and make them easier to say.  She looked at me as though that was such a foreign concept.  Why would anyone ever replace such beautiful words containing four and five syllables with a shortened nickname that was not as fun to say?

Needless to say, I don't understand where Jenna finds her vocabulary words.  My vocabulary goes to 3 and 4 syllable words like: "purify" and "geriatric" but nothing six to eight syllables.  I think doctors have many syllable words in their vocabulary.  They're always sputing off, "it looks like you have a case of nasopharyngitis or rhinopharyngitis"  Say what?  Oh, that's just fancy talk for "You have a common cold" but the words they use leave you believing that it's something more serious. , I wouldn't have even believed a 15 syllable word existed if Jenna hadn't told me. But then again, many a phobea has many syllables.  I had just never heard of 15 before.

No comments:

Post a Comment