Monday, January 21, 2019

Remembering Martin Luther King Jr.



          Martin Luther King was born on January 15, but as with so many Federal holidays, his birthday or MLK day is celebrated on the third Monday in January.  


The first year for this nationwide holiday was on January 20, 1986.  I happened to be on my mission at the time, but I do remember receiving a letter from my mother that the holiday had been created after quite an ordeal here. 


          Whenever I think of MLK day, I think of my sister, Kayla, who (according to mom) was ecstatic about having the day off from school as it was her birthday.  Mom said Kayla felt that the holiday was designed especially for her.  Funny.  


My niece, Ellen, thought it was for "milk" day and will celebrate MLK with dairy products here.


          MLK was designed as a day to promote equal rights.  Many have been encouraged to volunteer their services for citizen action here.  How blessed we are to have this reminder as "we all have a dream".
         





No comments:

Post a Comment