Monday, May 25, 2020

Typewriters to Word Processors and Printers

 I can’t find a picture of the Brother Word Processor I had purchased back in the day.  I don’t even remember what year it was.  This photo is the closest to what I remember – though I could be way off base.  I just remember a huge monitor and connecting keyboard.  It came with a black screen but instead of green words (the illustration looks it has blue lettering) my screen was orange words on black background.  I preferred the orange to the green.  I don’t know why.  I think it may have been easier on the eyes.

 

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-early-computers-use-green-on-black-text

 Computers were around at the time.  They also came with huge monitors.  I remember the salesman telling me why they were so much better.  For one thing, you could do so much more – play games for instance.  I wanted a word processor so that I could begin my autobiography (if you can believe that).  I loved writing.  I believed it would help me organize my thoughts.  I didn’t care about games or extra features.  I didn’t realize I was about to embark on a technological journey of outdated products and my word processor and the floppy discs would soon become relics and become as meaningful as the electric typewriter of the past.

 

https://blog.0xproject.com/evolving-the-0x-brand-4158f06d795a

 Oh, I had purchased one of those several years before.  And when it broke I took it to a typewriter doctor at Cottonwood Mall.  I believe the name of the outfitter was called Perry’s.  They’d given me a typewriter on loan while they were repairing mine.  It had some really cool features that mine did not.  Can you imagine a time when technology was repaired and consolations were made during the waiting process?  Does that customer service exist today? 

 I also had a printer that produced words in dotted form similar to what is created for kindergartners learning to trace letters.  The paper (evidently named continuous stationary) came in a box which was placed under my desk and fed through the printer.  What a joyous experience that was.  

https://global.canon/en/corporate/history/04.html

 

How thrilling it was when we were able to replace it with something that took normal paper.  I don’t know how many printers and scanners I have gone through in the last 35 years or so.  Relics.  All of them. Even the two that I currently use.  Or attempt to use anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment