Monday, June 1, 2020

Invitation Answers post 1

          It has been less than a year since I graduated from the online college that I attended.  Recently I received an email from the school with an interest in candid photos in which I could share my personal story.  I am usually the one behind the camera – or was.  Jenna has taken over that job and has taken countless photos.  I don’t know that any of them say “success” as far as “look where our student is now”. 

          Included was a list of questions which I was more interested in answering with words than with photos.  The first five wanted reasons about why I had gone to college – specifically their school.  Umm . . . because my husband is an underpaid employee who works for your company and thus we took advantage of getting an expensive education for his time. 

          Roland had majored in graphic arts when we were living in Utah.  He was also working from home.  He would spend hours on end at the computer – though he had initially said that the university only expects you to sign in four days a week and then you’re only on the computer for a couple of hours.  NOT true.  He spent more time on the computer with his assignments than he did for work – or so it seemed.  Actually he didn’t.  But he did spend more than 18 hours a week with graphic arts. 

          Graphic arts may be a more demanding field than accounting – especially since he asked to have two classes at a time.  Sometimes two classes felt overwhelming to me – but often one class wasn’t enough for me personally.  I don’t know how people working full time were able to manage.

           I chose accounting – not because I love business and figures.  I don’t.  But I certainly wasn’t willing to go into business or graphic arts.  The other alternative was health care which I believe has to have hands on classes as well.  I mean, it’s not like you can lean into the screen and demonstrate CPR or check vitals or what have you.  I have been trying to balance our personal budget since before Roland and I were married.  I figured maybe I could learn to apply things into my own personal records without actually seeking work in that field. 

           The first two courses I had were computer basics and learning soft skills.  Although I seemed to butt heads with the instructor of the latter, and really didn’t understand why the class was a requirement at first, I did learn from it.  As I have mentioned countless times, my favorite classes had absolutely no connection to accounting other than life skills and the “how to”s for working with people.  I applied these principals into my church callings and later on as a teacher’s aide with the school district.  I had even allowed myself to use my current situations to apply to whatever I happened to be learning.  I truly learned a lot.  Particularly about referencing.  I may have not appreciated it at the time but with all the hoax postings and gullible friends, it has become quite apparent who understands what reliable sources are and who remains clueless. 

                   I have brainstormed over many of these questions and have three pages of notes which should make for at least three more posts.  I don’t wish to ignore what is going on in the states but don’t wish to dwell on it either.  Trump’s promise to “make America great again” has been no different thah Hitler’s promise to Austria or Germany.  Did you know that swastika used to be a symbol of peace? But Hitler was quick about changing that concept. (see here) I know many of my friends already view the American flag in a similar manner.  Trump did not make America great again.  It’s been torn apart since before he got into office.  The tears are bloody and fiery now.



No comments:

Post a Comment