Sunday, December 4, 2016

No Men Beyond this Point and Balderdash


          I meant to post to my blog yesterday as I had many thoughts on my mind yesterday.  I also had to do some research for two discussion posts - which I never did get around to posting yesterday but was able to this morning.

          Meanwhile, I have two assignments to research for.  I start the history assignment first as my class is on Mondays and I have heard the lecture and have a better understanding whereas I have to wait until Wednesday to get a better understanding of the assignment.  I have already posted my discussion by then - as our initial post is due on Wednesday.  I like to have things done before they're due and not wait until the last second like some people do.

          Not much to comment on Thanksgiving.  The meal was nice.  I would have liked to have engaged in more conversation than, "could you please pass . . . ?" The men of the group seemed more interested in watching the game on TV than playing a game.  Jenna and I started out playing "Catch Phrase with the two girls who are in her primary class.  They hadn't played before, and though they were willing, it just wasn't as fun as when several are playing.  We never kept score as they had both opted not to, and then ditched us after only a few rounds.

          I think that is truly what I miss most about the holidays - playing games with family members.  We'd gotten together with Bill and Kayla a few times before we left Utah (and even one day while they were here in July) but Kayla's focus was not on the game so much as the "mommy" interruptions.

          All three of my daughters-in-law are really good at playing games, the boys, not so much.  But even now, there would be even more "mommy" interruptions, unless I were to play with either Corey or Patrick's family.

          One of Bill and Roland's favorite games is called Balderdash - where you bluff your way in making up definitions for words, a description of somebody famous enough to make it to a category, create words for initials, come up with a movie plot or finish a laughable law.  


Allow me to give some examples:

The word is Ailurophile could be:

the  amount of hair produced on a squirrel's tail

a red flower that grows in the rain forest

a lover of cats

toenail clippings.

everyone but the player reading the answers gets to guess.  Anyone guessing the correct answer gets to move forward three.  Anyone's bluff that is guessed gets to move a space for each guess.  You may receive two points if your answer is close to the real answer.  If nobody gets the correct answer, the person reading the cards gets to move three.

The name is Francesco Lentini  Is he:

the inventor of toothpaste
a three-legged soccer player

Czechoslovakian conman who swindled to scrap metal dealers into purchasing the Eiffel Tower.

          Bill was always throwing in extra body parts or taking them away.  I missed the correct guess because I thought it was his.

BDFC  are initials for what?

Blind and Deaf Foundation Corporation

Brookside Delaware Freedom Club

Barbie Doll Fan Club

          I thought Kayla was so clever to come up with Blind and Deaf Foundation - or whatever it was.  We didn't realize at the time, that the initials are usually silly and FC (thus far) always stands for Fan Club.

Movie:  Thirteen Women

A lady with hypnotic powers seeks revenge on her twelve former schoolmates.

The original tale of sleeping beauty and the thirteen gifts bestowed upon the newly born princess.

a man tries his hand at dating thirteen women all at once.

          Seems like Bill's answers would always include aliens and Roland's would include cowboys or some kind of western front plot.  Imagine the horrors when one of the titles had the real plot which included both.

And laughable laws (Jenna's personal favorite)

The law can be anything.  This is one example.

          In Salt Lake City, Utah, a person may not carry an unwrapped . . .

. . . candy bar in his pocket

. . . ukulele

. . . tissue box

          needless to say, it's not one that is enforced today.  The answer is ukulele.  And somewhere in Alabama, it is against the law to dress as any kind of clergy during the month of October.

"No Men Beyond this Point" 's actual plot sounded like Balderdash material, except the game was created 30 years before the movies.




          On Sunday, Roland and I watched "No Men Beyond this Point". It is about a  female populated world with men on the verge of extinction.  It is cleverly passed off as a documentary film - interviews with the world's youngest man (a 37-year-old) and a few others who have mostly been sent to a location I would assume similar to Indian Reservations or Topaz for the Japanese Americans, along those lines - except better fed - well sort of.  Though the food is good, we learn later on (in the documentary) that women's hormones have been smuggled into the food . . . anyway, I just saw a lot of historical themes intermingled in the obvious falsehoods of an inventive "science fiction" theme.  





          I don't know if Roland enjoyed it as much as I did.  There were parts of it that were really funny.  But I think it was there were a lot of historic undertones about how different races have been treated or stereotyped all throughout history.  I don't know if I would have noticed as much as I did if I weren't as focused on historic events because of my class right now.

          Anyway, those were my thoughts.  Now that I've taken quite a lengthy break, I shall continue with my research toward suffrage and equality.  Perhaps I may be able to smuggle in a few ideas from this film?  I don't know yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment