Saturday, December 3, 2016

Christmas Books: Legends, Traditions and Truth









        I have several Christmas books which I bring out each year to look through and to share.  The Kingfisher Book of Classic Christmas Stories.  








        They're not the traditional Christmas stories that are told every year - at least in my household.  The collection shares stories from around the world







       I used to have another book of story collections.  The book itself was read and I believe the print was green and sometimes hard to read.  Same with God's Vitamin C.







        I also have six other thought books with fun quotes and inspirational messages; four were from Randy, Tony, Frances, and Pamprin.  The other two joined my collection years later when I found them amongst used books



  

        One year when Corey and my mom were both working at the Costume Closet, my mom gave me "I Believe In Santa Clause"





        a wonderful book which explains the Symbol of Santa Clause with beautiful illustrations by M. Chad Randall, focusing on Santa and Jesus Christ







        I have another book that explains a few of the traditional symbols that are used.  It is my oldest book, one I had retrieved from mom's collection.  








        The illustrations all look like detailed coloring pages.  We haven't colored it yet, but I intend to at least start it with Jenna this year.

 There are two children's books - one is in Spanish because I want Jenna to be able to remember it still.  Most of the children's books were left behind for Ester.
Jingle Bugs did not make it to the book display this year.  
 




        Two or three years ago, I had purchased this book for Jenna







        Most of it is fictionalized.  It tells us about Santa's house, the elves, the reindeer, Santa's Sleigh . . . but intermingled in the pages are the Elves' handbook,  envelopes in which to retrieve letters or gift tags (six were included with the book; it appears that we have used four), a few things can be pulled to reveal "secrets".

         This telegraph comes with the book; it is one of many things "hidden" within the book









        But despite its make-believe descriptions, there are also "truths" within the pages.  For example, the open page tells us how magic is used to help Santa with the time factor of delivering presents in only 24 hours.  But in the square below is an accurate description of snowflakes.





      
        Our last year in Utah I purchased two new books to take to the Christmas dinner.  They are currently the most recent Christmas books in our collection.




 This shows an open page in which 
    we not only get to look for Santa
  but an entire list of things to search for













No comments:

Post a Comment