Monday, December 19, 2016

Bless the Sick . . . What a Way to Start a Vacation




            Ever since we have moved into this ward, the folding doors in back of the chapel have been open to allow an overflow - which I haven’t felt was necessary – nevertheless, it has always remained open until today.  The chapel still felt empty – more empty than usual.

            The second counselor made the announcement that half of the ward was out sick.  I think it was more than half, and had actually never experienced such a thing before – or at least it had never been that obvious.  The primary was supposed to sing yesterday, but only four members of the primary were in the congregation at that time.  My student wasn’t one of them.

            A lot of improv was made – particularly on the part of the primary.  It was announced that the young men and young women would remain in the chapel with their parents for Sunday School.  I could see the panicked look on Jenna’s face.  I told her that she could go to primary one last time if she would like.  I think more than half the youth who were actually present ended up in the primary watching whatever video one of the primary instructors had brought with her.  I think there were ten.  Half primary, half YMYW.

            Jenna hadn’t felt well at school on Friday.  She didn’t seem to enjoy the festivities held on the last day of the year.  Turns out she was dehydrated and has been throwing up off and on ever since.  I was actually surprised that she wanted to go to Church.  Neither one of us realized that only a third of our usual attendance would show.  But I do think she ended up having a wonderful time and forgot about her sickness for a few hours at least.

            I have said to her how sorry I’ve been that her “vacation” is at such a crummy start.  She has had quite a healthy attitude about it, though.  Says she is happy to be sick during vacation and not during the days when school is in session.

            We have one family in the ward with a father/husband possibly dying at the hospital.  I have seen glimpses of him from time to time, but he has never made it through an entire meeting since we moved in over a year and a half ago.  His health has been deteriorating ever since.

            He was in the hospital in the big city of Roseburg but was moved to rehab and was complaining about his back.  One of his daughters commented on how depressing and uninviting the rehab seemed to be.  Been there, done that.  Turns out he has an infection in his spine.  Now he is in a different hospital in the large land of Eugene – Oregon’s 2nd largest city.  I wonder if the infection in his spine is the sam infection that spread so quickly throughout my mom’s bloodstream – or wherever it was.

            The family seems prepared to let him go.  The drive to Eugene is long, but they have such a healthy attitude toward the situation.  At least the kids are now out of school and they can make that journey together.  Wow.  I’m in awe.

            I’m sorry that this season has been so wicked to so many.  My eldest son tells me attendance was down in his ward also.  He said he and his wife found themselves in charge of the entire primary yesterday.  I don’t know how many children they had.

            I know that if I was in Utah right now, I would be miserable with a sinus infection.  So grateful I don’t have that now.  I like having nature’s humidifier just outside my window.  My breathing has been so much better in Oregon.  Not only is there more moisture in the air, but the air is also clean.  No inversion.  That is awesome!

            My wish is that all people may have a speedy recovery and enjoy good health again.

1 comment:

  1. Super blog and very interesting information which I always wanted to search many article but you article is really fantastic.
    Wide Format Printing

    ReplyDelete