Thursday, December 1, 2016

Ornaments and Decorations


          Roland decided to put up the lights and bringing out the tree and decorate the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We had actually done that one other year when we were living in the West Valley House.  We had put the tree up right after Thanksgiving, and I think I took it down before New Years - which is unusual.  I'm always disappointed about having to take the tree down - except for that year.  Our house was tiny as it was.  Having the tree out made it less spacious.  That house actually does not have a lot of positive memories for me.

          We had a lot of space with our first house in Oregon.  I thought I would miss it - but haven't thought about it really.  And that is a blessing.  I took this photo of Jenna and our decorated house  this morning. 






          I think our house looks smaller from the outside than it actually is.  Our West Valley House looked bigger than it felt.  It felt smaller than this house.  Our Tri-City house is certainly better ventilated.

          In my last post, I made the comment on how much I miss games and visiting with family members.  On the plus side, I was able to put up a bunch of fragile ornaments that my tree hasn't seen for some time.


Santa Clause - U.S.

Father Christmas - England

Papa Noel - Belguim

Pere Noel - France

St Lucia - Sweden

St Nicholas - Netherlands



          I don't know how many years it's been since I purchased the Franklin Mint's "Faces of Christmas Around the World" ornament collection, one ornament at a time.  I had also purchased Grolier's Disney Collection but did not continue.  I don't think they are well-made.  But I do like these ones from Franklin Mint.

Kolyada - Russia

 
Christlkindll- Germany

Christmas Angel - Hungary

Le Befana - Italy


sinterklaas nethlands

Julenisse - Denmark

I find it interesting that there are two figures represented with the Netherlands, and no Three Kings associated with many Latin  countries

         In my family, my mom and dad always purchased new ornaments every year - which has resulted in a Hodge assortment throughout the years.  That's what I grew up with.  That's what I know.

 

          I think Roland would rather just have candy canes and baubles.  We had a silver tree one year to appease him.  All of us thought it was boring.  But perhaps we can buy several colored baubles when they go on sale and try for his tree again next year?




          Last year each of our boys had one daughter, and we did too.  I thought it was interesting that each household had Mommy*Daddy*daughter.  I made these ornaments for last year:




          This year I purchased four ornaments and let Jenna choose from the assortment which ornament should go where




          She decided to keep the deer for our tree.  She picked the snowflake for Tony's family. The nativity is for her oldest brother, Biff.  And that left the holly for Randy's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment