Friday, December 30, 2016

Christmas Services

            Our bishop read passages of scripture and would pause for a hymn to fit with the scripture.  It reminded me of the many times our family joined Birds for their annual Christmas pageant.  For the longest time, I had played Mary as I was the only girl. The narrator would read passages of scripture and Peggy would direct the cast on what to do, and we would sing carols to fit in with the setting.  Over the years some things were added, like Samuel the Lamanite and his prophecies.  But that wasn't until after my niece had taken over the role of Mary. 

            I enjoyed playing Mary and was not at all humble about having been replaced as other families had been invited to participate.  Ellen became bored with playing Mary and was ecstatic when the opportunity was given to another.



            I'd been coughing since Friday, and though the cough seemed more controlled, I wasn't able to sing.  But I beamed as Jenna sang every song - or attempted to at least (there were a few that were not as familiar for her)  I enjoy going to Church on Christmas.

            Normally when Church ends, so many people head towards the door and out to the parking lot, it doesn't leave much opportunity for those who would like to visit.  But on Christmas, it seemed to be the opposite: a lot of lingering and wishing each other well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment