Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Sound of Christmas (and the Assembly Hall)



        We'd been invited to attend a Christmas concert at a local Baptist Church in our area:




        Roland and I dragged Jenna to it last night.  I don't know why she was being all glum about it. The concert was held in the chapel - which appeared to be bigger than the entire building of the LDS church.  This was our view from the side


         The songs were not the traditional ones that I'm accustomed to hearing each year.  For the most part, I was actually unfamiliar with the tunes. I decided that may have been Jenna's problem.  She wanted to sing along, but wasn't able - even when she did know the words, it was only a part of a medley arrangement. 

        There was a man in front of us who sang along with a few tunes.  It made me smile.  He was a bit off key, but then so were some who were in the choir.  Their key requirement for joining the choir is because you want to sing and have fun.  They made a few announcements to recruit new blood.

        Their chapel reminded me a little bit of the chapel in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square (minus the balcony) I smiled as a memory entered my mind.

        I don't recall the time of year.  Summer, maybe spring.  Nor do I remember the reason why my friends Timmy and Becky were visiting.  I had met them when I lived in Woodbridge, Virginia, but they had moved to Missoula, Montana.  Perhaps it was at a time when they were just passing through.




        Anyway, I had gone with them to Temple Square just to look around.  Becky noticed the Star of David on the Assembly Hall and asked me about it.



        "Oh, that building is actually a Jewish Synagogue,"  I joked.  "The Jewish people have been poorly treated and were unable to purchase land to build their own church, so the authorities at Temple Square allowed them this space for their worship"

        I was thrown back that she had actually believed me, and I couldn't keep a straight face.  According to Wikipedia (here) (which I have learned is not always an accurate or reliable source) the symbol is to remind us of the re-gathering of Israel.  But I don't find the same information provided here.




No comments:

Post a Comment