I had signed up for a dance class in my junior year of high school. It was not on my schedule of classes. I still wanted to take the class and tried to transfer in. Nada. And then I got my report card. They had me failing this class that I wanted to take but wasn’t taking. Apparently my name was on the role. I was so mad!
The office had a different schedule than the one I had. I had tried to transfer into the class and the instructor didn’t even recognize my name as her absentee student? I was angry. I let every faculty member know how I felt. It was wrong! Their failed system was not my fault.
Grade retracted. I did not fail the class I hadn’t taken. I still wanted the class . . . or so I believed.
Almost 50 years later I am watching the talents of the pros on Dancing With the Stars and the need for two other dancers to join their team. I am amazed at what their bodies can do as they learn and create routines and get thrown around and learn new steps and perform in such a short time. Wow.Start while you’re young. Even before high school – which I did. Mom had enrolled me in various dance classes but it is not something I pursued. It was probably better for me in the long run to not have been part of the class. I was on the skinny side and may have been one of the dancers that was thrown. But it’s in the past. It’s a forgotten desire.
When I look at the dancers performing on Dancing With the Stars I am in awe. What talent. What creativity. What excruciating hard work! Probably why it is only on twice a year. The dancers might need the four to six month rest. How does that even work? Do they get a break? They are putting their bodies in jeopardy every bit as football players who land on each other or hockey players who may sometimes slide and fall or any other athlete of so many different sports. Dancers are athletes in a sense as it is physically demanding and teamwork is very important.
I think it’s a great opportunity for those who have that desire and ambition. I don’t know that I would have had the desire. I’m not competitive for one thing. I do have a heart murmur which I’m guessing I’ve had since childhood and thus I do get easily wiped out just walking. And to be able to dance in heels. Forget that!
I appreciate dancers. I appreciate performers. I enjoy the music and talents of those who play instruments and sing. My talent doesn’t lie in singing either. But I do like to sing and I do like to dance almost as much as I enjoy watching dances and listening to music.


No comments:
Post a Comment