Monday, July 4, 2016

Smiling about "Joseph" stories

        We have spent the weekend watching "Joseph" (with Paul Mercurio and Ben Kingsley)



and "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat" (starring Donny Osmond)



and I was reminded of humorous stories related to theatre or inaccurate Bible portrayal.  Some of which I have shared on my blog already.


       
        The first Sunday in October of 2012 (the year I had started my blog)  I had select a children's from the BYU channel for Jenna to watch.  It was an animation from the old Testament about  Joseph and his brothers.




          As she is watching the story of Joseph, Jenna had asked, “Mom, is this the same story as “Little Joe” from “Veggie Tales” 




          “Yes”

          “They don’t have French accents though”

          “This version is more accurate than Veggie Tales. ”
original post found here

      Long before I had started my blog, or before I was even married, my brother Corey had the opportunity to audition for a stage version of Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat.  




        While the production itself was to be held at Kingsbury Hall (in Salt Lake) the auditions were being held at a local High School because the musical director was that high school's choir teacher.



        So Corey went to the high school.  He got there early because he is always early.  He was asked if he was there for auditions.  He said he was and he was told to fill out an application.

        He thought the application was weird – unlike anything he had ever filled out before.  It was asking for things like his GPA.  He filled out the application and went to the theatre to audition.

        After his name was called, he presented his music to the piano player and was asked which part he was auditioning for. He answered that he was there to try out for one of the brothers and proceeded with his audition.

        After belting out the song he had chosen, the choreographer (or was it the conductor?) said, “You’re not auditioning for 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers', are you?”



        Corey said that he was there to try out for "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat".  But since he had been early and had quite a youthful appearance at the time (he was in his early 20’s I believe) it was assumed that he was there to audition for the high school musical try outs that took place before the “Joseph” auditions started.





        I was (still am) really quite proud of my brother and had been telling my co-workers that Corey would be playing Issachar in the musical, "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat" (David Osmond played Joseph in that version)

        One of my co-workers heard me say, "Is a Car"  and wanted to know why my brother would be playing the part of a car.

        I smile each time I watch the video "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat" - my then youngest niece appeared to have a crush on Donny Osmond and watched the video over and over (and probably wore it out)
       

        When our family had gone to a theatre to see a parody on "Forever Plaid" (which Corey has also been in) and "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream coat". Candy dressed up and looked so cute in her dress and hat.  She was so excited to see this production - not understanding that it was a parody.  I remember watching her watch it with such a bewildered expression thinking that the cast was doing it wrong.  It was really funny to watch her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment