Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Remincing the Work Places of my Past



          Assignments for accounting classes are always done in Excel.  I don't have to worry about referencing or APA format, which (as I mentioned before) appears to be more important to the instructor than the content itself.  It does not help any when instructors tell us to refer to the owl  Perdue here which for me personally is neither helpful nor received well on my part.  I, fortunately, have had an instructor, the dean of English at that, who didn't seem to be a big fan of Owl Purdue herself and sent us tutorial videos, which I think are much easier to understand.

I have had to create assignments in APA form for all my non-accounting classes.  Most classes will give a topic such as

         "name some types of real estate and give some examples" or


          " Using the website above or another website of your choosing, identify at least one of the fallacies that you are most likely to commit. Describe a specific time when you committed this particular fallacy. What could you do to avoid committing this fallacy in the future?"  
giving us the option to explore and draw from many sources. I have also had classes that are more specific to the topic such as:


          "Gary Kelly CEO of Southwest Airlines" or "Panera Bread" (I have heard that Panera has been since changed to another topic) and sometimes there is the option of choosing from topics.  I think I have touched on all of these subjects in my blog during the time I have written for class.  
 
          In the past, my classes have pushed at least 500 words, but this class has to have at least 750 which has been a challenge every week but the first. This final week's prompt states:  

          "You are the Operations Manager for a technology company. Your company is looking to expand its product line and in doing so it will need a larger or even second location. What considerations are taken into account for determining which solution is best? When you decide the solution how do you secure the property? Would any other item needed to expand the product line be considered real property?"  Huh?




            Okay, first off, the scenario is one I cannot completely identify with nor will this ever be a situation I will be putting myself in.  However, as an accountant, I suppose I could contribute suggestions - though currently, I think it's more from personal experience as an employee who has worked for companies that have had to relocate for various reasons.  The perks from an employee's perspective were the parking lot and more elbow room.  During the first year that my blog was in production, I had briefly mentioned three different places of employment that had dealt with relocating their business.  As I was unable to include all my triggered thoughts into my assignment, I will rehash some old posts with some new detail.  Stay tuned (or not) as I'll need to sort my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment