Monday, August 13, 2012

The Novelty has Worn off, That Ship has Sailed




          Recently I was watching a show (well, attempting to watch) called “Bunheads” The particular episode focuses around Michelle substitute teaching for Fanny, who is out of town, and, according to Facebook, will be for some time.

All of the supporting characters are aware of Fanny’s extended plans except for Michelle – who hasn’t checked her Facebook page and is bothered that the whole world seems to revolve around Facebook communication.

There is nothing private about Facebook.  Things are taken out of context, misunderstood, mistranslated, and up for political debate. 




One of my Facebook friends joined after three years of rebellion.  Facebook was not for her.  She’s been able to communicate just fine without it – but not always so informed.

Like Michelle, she’d learn from other people, “Oh, I hear your grandson won the trophy and that there will be a celebration.”  “Who else is going to Mr. Walkie’s picnic on Friday?” “Did you hear so and so got the lead in the school play?” 

Okay, I don’t know the exact quotes that she read.  The first example is probably totally inaccurate as she supports her grandchildren to the fullest and is always there – provided that the information has been related to her.

I guess after three years of listening to her family converse about current events that hadn’t yet reached her ears, she joined Facebook – though she seemed leery or did it out of rebellion or what have you.

Actually, it appears that she has been on it almost daily since she joined.  And usually her posts are profound and have great meaning.  She shares links and views and probably does reach more people now than before. 




I visit Facebook weekly at best.  I go in to view and post pictures and send wishes to those having birthdays (the calendar reminder is actually one of my favorite features)   Sometimes I read comments that have been made.  Overall I see it as a great big bill board with just as many advertisements as comments. 

The appearance of facebook has changed three to five times since I’ve joined – the latest being time line – and you are going to join forces weather you want to or not.  I actually didn’t have a problem with time line.  Corey has not been happy about the mandatory sweitch however.

I noticed that many times people leave comments on stupid posts, but I get very little on the ones that I really care about.  Or used to care about.  I seldom ever put posts on Facebook anymore.  I’d rather Blog what’s on my mind.  

3 comments:

  1. But what did you think about Bunheads?! I love that show. The witty banter cracks me up.

    I think Facebook is great if you have moved around a lot (which I have.) I was excited when it was developed because I lost touch with a ton of my friends in junior high who I missed deeply. Then my ward in Arkansas used Facebook to post ward information since we were so spread out and it was just easier. I used Facebook in my last ward to help me get to know everyone's names. No one in my new ward uses Facebook which is KILLING me because how will I ever learn their names!? Luckily, my new ward has a ward directory online that actually has pictures. So that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it does have its perks. I do check it once in a while - but not often. I'm just tired of all the ads and lack of privacy. But I do like being informed - and I agree that sometimes facebook is just the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. facebook does have its perks. What earthly being knew that in eight years facebook would become a tool for missionary work. Good and bad - I just need to learn to connect. My favorite page thus far is "Come Follow Me" bringing insight on gospel topics. I had also set up an RS page for my ward Relief Society - not that I wanted to be in charge but rather because I wanted the page to exist. It's took some doing to get where we are.

    ReplyDelete