Saturday, August 5, 2017

Cool on the Coast


My mom would often tell us that when my brother Patrick was younger, his absolute favorite story (book) that he enjoyed reading was Joan Heilbroner's "Robert the Rose Horse"


I would guess because it was a book he could follow and repeat as it was being told "His eyes began to itch, His nose began to itch. And . . .  ACHOO . . "



            I was thinking about that last night as I was taking a shower trying to wash the itch away from the rest of my body.  I probably should not have gone to the pool yesterday.  The air temperature was about 10-20 degrees warmer than it has ever been (since I started taking classes anyway) though the water itself was a nice temperature.  I think I breathed in too much nasty air. 

            I had come to Oregon to get away from nasty air. I think I have used more eye drops this summer than I have during the winter seasons I was in Salt Lake.  First there were the winds during our traveling in June.  Fireworks actually didn't bother me this July as it has most Julys.  And now the smoke and whatever other chemicals have been reported to be in the air.

            That and going from the temperature of the house from a/c to desert heat (and I don't live in the desert anymore) hasn't helped any either.    Up until two weeks ago, I was sleeping with the windows opens and not using the A/C at night.  This week the A/C was on nearly 24/7.  Even when it had cooled off (back to under 60) I don't want to invite the smoke.

            Today we went to the coast in honor of Sand Castle Day (here).  Once we passed Ten Mile, the skies were overcast and not smoky. 

            We spent a few hours on the beach. 









Jenna was the only one who braved the water - but not even all the way in.   







The water was cold. 







Theoretically it should have only taken an hour to get there, but a road was closed and we had to go around - which made the trip longer.  Still overcast for the entire return.  It appears to have lifted the haze.   I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment