Tuesday, November 3, 2015

From LPs to CDs to YouTube




            Roland and I recently watched a “Master Class” on Smokey Robinson.  I have always enjoyed his music and him and after watching his biography, have even more admiration for him.




            I had albums featuring Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, the Carpenters, "Earth,Wind and Fire" and Mannheim Steamroller. I listened to them often when I was single.  After I was married, I rarely listened to the large collection of LPs that I had.

            LP stands for “long playing”.  That is what my dad had told me. My dad LOVED music.  He had hoped that one day he would own his own record store.  I am sad that he wasn’t able to fulfill his musical dream.

            When I was growing up, dad would play Kingston Trio, Journeymen, and the Brothers Four.  Eventually folk seemed to faze out and dad eventually turned to county though still a fan of the music that had been popular in his youth.  I remember how different the vinyl records were – not just because of their music – but the weight and quality and continuous groove.  The treasured LP would boast about the high quality material while the more recent ones would remind patrons that it was/is a crime to copy.




            Though records were (and ARE) still around, record players themselves seem to be a hint of the past.  I did own a stereo with phonograph player when Roland and I were married.  But the needle broke, and availability for replacement is either outrageous or non-existent. 

            I still continued to collect records even after CDs (compact discs) were introduced.  There was a store called Randy’s Records that sold all kinds of records, and after a while it was the only place where I could find LPs.  I think one of the last LPs I ever purchased was a used album featuring the “Best of the Coasters”




            My purchase was made the very day that my niece and nephews received the CD from the Disney’s animation of Hercules.  I said that I would play two songs from the Coasters and then they could listen to their CD.

            I think Brian was four at the time.  When I took the LP out of it’s record jacket to place it on the turntable, his eyes got big as he exclaimed, “that is a humongous CD”



            There was an advertisement for a record player/CD unit.  Roland purchased one for me, and I played both CDs and records – but I knew it wouldn’t last.  Even before we moved, I questioned how long the needle would last.  I finally accepted LPs to be a thing of the past.




            The first CD I had ever purchased from Randy's Records was Clooney Tunes which I had initially listened to on LP as a youth and loved it and played it so much that the scratches seemed to come in louder than the songs.  I had to buy it for Jenna. I hoped she would love Clooney Tunes as much as I did.



            And even greater still has been the I-pod and the ability to store so much music in such a teeny little space, and catalog it.  And hook it up to speakers – that was my desire as I’m not much of a headphone person.  




            I still play my CDs in the car – often cassette tapes.  I like listening to music as much as daddy did.  Although my taste in music varies from the stuff he seemed to enjoy.  I didn’t mind the folk tunes sung by trios and quartets.  There are a few songs I like that seem to fit into the “country” category. I have never really cared for country music as a whole. I wish I did.  I think they put on the best award shows and entertainment.




            I am grateful for access to YouTube 




 to relive those songs from the past and daddy’s past and to be able to read along with the lyrics (if I chose to do so). It’s been quite a journey.  I remember the LP and the 8-track tape.  I even remember reel-to-reel.  Yes, I’m that old.




There may come a day when Jenna may say, “Yes, I watched YouTube back in the day.  I can’t believe I can remember that far back.  My kids must think I’m ancient.”

No comments:

Post a Comment