Sunday, June 26, 2016

Do Not Use Neilco at Century 21



          Before we moved to Oregon, we had put in applications to various rental companies located in at least two or three counties located between Portland and Medford and Highway 101 and Interstate 5.  It was a matter of availability on where we would live.

          We put our bid on 12 different rentals within Douglas country. When the first rental became available, I made arrangements to be in Oregon in order to secure the house in Myrtle Creek.  I had called Neilco rentals at least three times to let them know I was on my way.

          Now for those of you who have ever considered moving to Oregon and are looking for a rental, my advice is to find a rental company that ISN"T NEILCO - their communication skills are pathetic.  If you send them an email or leave a phone message - IT WILL BE IGNORED - even if you talk to someone in person, they are NOT THAT ON THE BALL.

          My first encounter with Neilco was anything but positive.  If we hadn't already waited for two months for an opening - I would have said: "Forget you.  I'm going somewhere else"  I wasn't (still not) familiar enough with Oregon to do that.  I sucked it up.  I paid for the rental (though the entire process was a nightmare - and a blessing at the same time; for those who are new to my blog, I'd written this post almost a year ago  

          I really liked the house on Jenny (the street).  I really thought I'd miss it more than I do, but I am happy to say I really haven't missed the house itself.  We did enjoy having a garage.  There were a lot more sidewalks in that neighborhood (I don't think I've seen any sidewalks in Tri-City)  but we needed to lower our monthly mortgage and hopefully our water bill (still not as low as I had thought)




          When we moved in, there were stains on the carpet that I hadn't noticed initially - not that I would have prevented me for moving in.  I actually lightened the stain, but did not get it out.  Still it looked better than it had before we moved in. 

          We paid on time.  We took care of the property.  We had planned to use a carpet cleaner for the filthy rug - but we were told that we'd have to use their carpet cleaner and either we could call or they could call.  If we couldn't choose our own cleaner, what would be the point of our calling?

          They gave us instructions on how to leave the house.  We followed it to the letter.  Our cleaning deposit refund was less than half.  They gave us this outrageous bill detailing each charge - two of which were substantial - the rest was bogus.  The longer Roland and I thought about it, the more angry we became.  How dare they!

          We sent in our dispute.  We even had them sign for it so that we could prove that someone had received it.  It's been two months.  Of course we've never heard back from them.

          Meanwhile the "rental" has received a makeover that definitely does not give value to the place (as least in my opinion.  And perhaps the crotchety couple (perhaps they aren't crotchety; I just heard it was an older couple - I'm thinking more nitpicky than we are/were and perhaps they're partially responsible for Neilco's charging us for it) who moved in are the owners, if not . . . well Neilco will have their hands full with that one. 

          I think the company was ticked off because we purchased a house and did not use Century 21 (their parent company - I guess) or perhaps we would have received more of our deposit back.  We've been treated unfairly!  I don't recommend that anybody use them - unless maybe you don't' care about finances or communication. 

         Village Realty is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment