Monday, July 24, 2017

“When It Rains, It Pours”

    

          I never quite got the gist of that saying.  I tried to find out it’s origin and came across this post – and there were others that seemed support quote being related to the Morton Salt company – which actually explained the iconic picture of the girl with the umbrella.  But still the saying of “When It Rains, It Pours” was supposed to reflect a chain of positive and not negative.  Perhaps it’s the misunderstanding of “When it DOESN’T rain, it pours” but comes out “When it rains, it pours” - I don’t know.  There are several old sayings that I’ve heard used and have sometimes used myself, but now I want the origin to back up what I’m saying. 

          The reason I had even thought of it in the first place is because our house is slowly falling apart – but that was expected I guess before we moved in.  Instead of correcting whatever mistakes currently exist, the previous homeowners decided to “hide” existing flaws by gluing cutting board to top of counter to hide the marred countertop and carpet all throughout the house (surprisingly not the kitchen, but have in both bathrooms) and now we have the displeasure of having to deal with so much of it at once.

          First it was the knobs on the tub – the hot side was not tightening, and finally came off altogether.  I have already posted about the leak in the backroom which connects to Jenna’s bedroom (who is still without furniture and most her clothes.  Oh, but she does have her stuffed animals who are currently living in her closet.  I think clothes and furniture are more important) and the seal plate broke off Roland’s shower door. Last night it was the knob for the overhead light and exhaust fan.  I did finally get the fan to go off after taking the plyers to it three or four times.  This morning I learned that I am not able to get it to go back on. 

          Manufactured homes were not designed as permanent homes to cater to several generations.  Most our neighborhood is made of manufactured homes.   For as moist as it gets during the year, the manufactured home seems to be more practical than the stick built – which brings me back to the saying: “When It Rains, It Pours” – it rains quite often in Oregon (but not during the summertime) but rarely ever pours from my point of view anyway.  I remember downpours in Utah.  Those were wet – like standing under a bottomless bucket.  The rain in Oregon seems lighter and airy.  I don’t believe what those in this county may consider a downpour mirror my own description of what a downpour is.  “When It Rains, It Pours” – except for maybe Morton Salt's play on words, that’s just weird saying.




No comments:

Post a Comment