Saturday, February 29, 2020

Different Rewards



          People pick careers for different reasons.  Some people seem to focus more on their paychecks than the occupation.  Others pick their jobs in hopes to create a better world.  Take education, for example.  I don’t know any one teacher that picked his/her career in hopes of seeking financial wealth.  I don’t think teachers get paid near enough.  Many of them make huge sacrifices.  They sacrifice time as well as money out of their own pockets.  I don’t think the majority of students appreciate that – or may even be aware.

          I know of two music instructors in the school district  that I work for.  One of the instructors spends three months at three different schools working with elementary children.  In addition she teaches before or after school band at Canyonville. 

          The other instructor teaches three classes at the high school before he has the option of taking lunch and drives to the middle school for three afternoon classes.  Today he is at the local grocery store with some students from his choir class.  He will be there again tomorrow giving up his free time to be with them and their cause. They are having a bake sale.  


         Jenna and one of her friends baked goods all morning.  They are raising money to go to San Francisco.  The music instructor does not get paid to be with him.  At least I don’t believe he does.  He believes in his students and is giving up his free time to be with them.  That’s what many instructors do.  They sacrifice themselves and their paychecks to contribute to the souls of this generation in hopes that they may instill values as well as knowledge.

          Roland wants me to be an accountant.  The rewards for an accountant are not the same as they are for a teacher or teacher’s aide.  The rewards are with the youth who let me know that I have made a difference.  It is with the youth who go out of their way to give me a one-armed hug.  It is with the youth who say “Hi” to me at the pool.  It’s a feel good award.  That is more valuable to me than the paycheck is.    

          Thank you to all the educators who make the many sacrifices that you do.  Thank you for caring about our youth.  Thank you for making a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like COVID19 killed that San Francisco dream. The only way they can even perform right now is virtually. Roland's working online. I think I will be home for a while.

    ReplyDelete