Sunday, February 11, 2024

A Learning Experience

           As a former sister missionary I remember introducing non members to strong members to be fellowshipped. Finding strong priesthood members who would remain in the ward long after the missionaries had gone.  Wouldn’t it be more meaningful to be baptized by a fellow member and still have that connection down the road.  I remember one of my brothers making it a goal NOT to physically baptize those he taught but to pass the reign onto another.  Not that it’s a choice for just anybody to baptize.  One must have authority and has to be interviewed the same at the individual to be baptized.

          Missionary baptisms are handled by the missionaries while primary baptisms arrangements are made by primary leaders and/or parents depending on the size of the ward or stake and the amount of children being baptized.  I remember making the arrangements for Jaime’s baptism before I was aware that there were others in the stake who would also be baptized.  Still she was the only one from our ward and although the program started in the chapel with the five children from the stake, but we broke off into wards each time a child was baptized (here)   

          The missionaries had made arrangements for a program set up for two youth.  The program was not complete and they had mentioned that before Richard took the reins of printing up the program to his own perfection and satisfaction.  He asked why baptism is spelled with an "s" while baptize is spelled with a "z". He printed up several programs. But changes were made to include more youth and ward involvement. The Elders had picked up the programs and used a white out where some names had been but had not been filled out with the names of those who had been newly assigned. 

         A counselor in the YW class presidency gave the first talk on baptism instead of the sister missionaries whose names were initially on the program.  Though both elders had their names under the baptisms only one performed a baptism while one of the elders baptized one youth, the other was baptized by the bishop.

           Between the baptism and the talk on the Holy Ghost there was a soft reference that came with the prelude music of primary songs.  There was still visiting among members who did so in whispers unlike this baptism . Usually the elders show a video while those who have been in the water change into dry clothes.

           I made an error when it was announced those who would be welcoming into the church.  First the young women’s president was called and she would be followed by the bishop. I thought they had forgotten to include the primary representative.  I decided to inquire thought it wasn’t my place. Turns out the other youth was no longer primary age but a young man who the bishop welcomed.  I woke up this morning disturbed at my having meddled.  My slow mind then realized that there had been two leaders from the primary and not just the one I pointed out.  Of course Bishop was fully aware of the other. I chastised myself and tried consoling myself with excuses - none which have worked. It was not just a learning experience for the elders but for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment