Thursday, September 15, 2016

Not Having Success With Blackboard Collaboration

       
          I had an English class on paragraphing during my second mod - which was a great introduction to my class on English composition.   I am happy that this is last week of my third mod.  Love my instructor, but don't care for all the rules that apply to informal writing.  



            So I have been working on the same assignment for four weeks now.  I could pick one of three topics.  I chose soft skills - again, but had forced myself the view it from a different angle - so it wouldn't seem redundant with two other classes that I took. Instead of being part of a team of employees working together, I decided to approach my assignment from the customer's point of view.



            My main gripe is proper communication between the employee and the customer.  Right off the back I came up with two examples of poor service that I had received personally, one from a photography studio that never did establish credibility (at least to my knowledge) and of course my gripes is with T-Mobil as found here




            So, our first week is about brainstorming ideas, or mapping, or free writing, or however, we choose to create an outline.  Our assignment was to be a reflective piece, however, the feedback I received was that it appeared more as a rough draft for my final paper .  She liked my outline and said I would be ahead in the game as I had already created an outline, but I did not receive full credit - though still an A.




            Our second week was to gather evidence.  I LOATHE research.  I loathe referencing and citing.  I followed the instructions for the assignment.  Our instructor was very impressed with the class as a whole.  She said it was the first time she had seen so many follow through and do so well.  It is the only week which shows I have 100%.

            Last week was the rough draft - which I had changed up a bit.  I didn't end up using my complaints (or anybody's regarding any cell phone provider) on T-Mobil.  Instead, I added some more positive comments on customer support with Lowe's as a whole.  I had researched soft skills.  I had researched employment.  I had researched T-Mobil and Lowe's.  I had researched my sources.  I revised my paper over and over.  I had made an appointment with the writing center to go over my assignment.  That was a stressful week.  I had an appointment for a 30-minute one-on-one session. 

It took me 30 minutes just to get in!  It was so stressful!  I hate blackboard collaboration.  I thank the instructor at the other end who took the time to critique my assignment and get it back to me - though she was unable to get it back to me until that evening.  It was the latest I had turned in an assignment.  I think that's part of what was stressing me out - that and stupid blackboard.  28% of my grade depended on last week's overall grade - which is the lowest I've ever had in any of my college classes (but actually quite terrific for my high school GPA - which was actually pretty pathetic)



           
            And then I had come up with all of these other thoughts related to the topic, but not customer service.  Here is what I had thought up:

                "What do Philosopy221 or the Motivation of Psychology have to do with my major? Whether it be in graphic arts or health care, we need to learn soft skills first. But why? Because we need to know more than just our trade. Soft skills are needed by each student to interact with classmates and instructors, to conduct self during an interview for employment and to work well with others in the workforce.

            "I like the idea of Stevens-Henagar or Independence University drawing up my schedule instead of just handing me a catalog and telling me: these are the courses that are needed, and try to pick and choose upon availability. That is frustrating. It is wise on the school's part to assign classes in which soft skills are the focus we need guidance as we post discussions, e-mail our tutors and instructors. Thank you for starting us out on the right path!"

          I had even come across references that I could use. My instructor said I could change it if I wanted, but I thought that was too big of a challenge for just one week - or a week and a half, maybe.  None of my paragraphs seemed to connect - not with the two paragraphs above, not with what I had turned in.  It was awful.



            This week, I think I've got a good final product.  Again, I spent 30 minutes trying to get into blackboard.  My husband finally got me in on the relic laptop that he has.  More stress, but this week is only 18%.  I'm not as stressed.  I have been more prepared this week and had submitted my questions along with the assignment in which I have to have feedback. I have since corrected and submitted my assignment and am done for the week
 YEA! 
           I will miss my instructor, but I will not miss the rules.  I really hope that I don't have to use blackboard again.  If so, I hope that it is a less painful experience for me - or anyone.  What a headache!  I can't remember what bbss stands for:   blackboard collaboration student support?  Right now I fail to see the success.  Stupid blackboard!


No comments:

Post a Comment