Thursday, July 20, 2017

Quotes from Puzzle Books




          On April 6, 2015, as we waited in the Portland airport for our return to Salt Lake City, Roland purchased what he believed was a crossword puzzle book.  It had actually turned out to be a book of fill-in puzzles, something I was not familiar with, but found enjoyed.  I have purchased many fill-in puzzle books since, and even some variety puzzle books. 



          With the puzzle variety I have learned that my favorite kinds of puzzles are fill-ins and brick-by-bricks.  There are some puzzles that I haven't been able to figure out how to play, some that seem more challenging and will take up more time than I am willing to give.  And there's some I just refuse to do as they involve math and I am so not in the mood (though I have been okay about sudoko - but not fill-in numbers.  What's up with that?



          Lately, however, I find that I have been becoming quite good a cryptograms (Roland says the reason for algebra is to think logically;  well world, these word puzzles are better than algebra for me.  They help me to think logically) and I would like to share some of the quotes that I have translated.  They weren't given in alphabetical order - I know there's a better way to put them order.



Actually there's only a slight difference between keeping your chin up and sticking your neck out, but it's worth knowing.



Grandparents are the people who think your children are wonderful even if they're positive you're not raising them right.



Great thinkers are so constituted that they do not know their own thoughts until they hear them issued from their own mouths.



I feel that the essence of dance is the expression of man - the landscape of his soul. - Martha Graham



If you smile when no one else is around, then you really mean it.



No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of it for somebody else.



One of the advantages of being young is that you don't let common sense get in the way of doing things everybody else knows are impossible.



Science has been producing so many substitutes lately that it's hard to remember what it was we needed in the first place.



The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.



The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.



The real difficulty about writing poetry is filling up the other twenty-three hours of the day.



We Act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements  of line, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about



Why pay money to have your family tree traced?  Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.



Yosemite Valley is always a surprise.  A glitter of green and golden wonder in a vast edified of stone and spade - Ansel Adams



You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why the parents will always wave back.

No comments:

Post a Comment