Thursday, August 16, 2018

Deceptive Skies





                Carolyn picked me up at 6:45 this morning.  I was happy to see misty clouds or fog hanging over the hills ahead of us, but from behind the appearance told us it was a hazy smoke.  From the pool, the skies gave the impression that it might rain, but to the north of us, there was also a musty haze covering the hills, trying to hide them as it had all of the blue that had been there last weekend.  What happened?

            Two weeks ago after the smoke started to descend upon us, the haze made gave the sun the appearance of being blood red - like in this photo by Richard Bartz. 


It was taken for an article for a station in Portland, I think.  The name of the article is Poor air quality could affect your dog or cat: Tips to avoiding respiratory stress in pets which you can find here

            I don't have that great of a sense of smell, but I can smell it - even taste it - as I sit at my computer writing this post.  I have not even had the windows open all week as to not let the bad air in.  The air quality guide tells me moderate, but it feels like the number should be higher and orange rather than yellow.


 I realize that in comparison to other areas in Oregon, California, and even Utah, the quality of air is worse than here.  I don't understand.  According to the fire map, there aren't even any fires that close to us - not like last year when we were surrounded by fires.  How fortunate that we did not have to evacuate - where would we have gone?  What roads would we have taken to get there safely?

            The pool was nice.  There were only five people in Josh's class.  It was an extreme workout.  I felt out of breath and was grateful for the opportunity to rest between classes - though we did not fully rest.  Carolyn and I put up a net that Josh had started for us.  And then she pumped air into nine beach balls while I plugged up the holes.  We put the balls in the water.  It was fun to watch where the air carried them.

            There weren't as many participants as usual.  The class has been getting 16 - 20 people on average.  On Tuesday there was 20.  Today there were twelve.  .  We did not have a routine workout in the morning.  Carolyn had wanted to try something different, and we did.  First, she incorporated some of Josh's routines into our morning exercise and try something different that she hoped would be fun.


            We attempted to pass the beach balls to one another over the net, but the wind generally sent them to directions other than what we were aiming.  It appeared that everyone in the water was having a good time, and I know the lifeguard was enjoying watching us

            I still need to write my assessment.  I am having the hardest time getting into it.  If I don't post something new tomorrow, it means I am working on my assignment . . . still.

No comments:

Post a Comment