Monday, March 15, 2021

Technology: Interference and Unlimited

          I don’t know what platform is currently being used by stake.  There have been several complaints coming from our ward but I don’t know if it’s like that for all wards.  Recently three of the wards have been upgraded.  We are among the four that receive not-so-great viewing options.  Last week seemed fine, but we did have lots of interference yesterday.  We also had lots of rain.  So I suppose the weather interfered with – I’m guessing Frontier though I had suspected it had gone out of business as it is awful.

          We heard the opening hymn four times intermingled with Mormon Tabernacle Choir who were vibrant and definitely easier to hear.  I had the volume up as loud as it would go.  We heard the opening prayer three times.  Announcements twice.  And the first part of Elder Miller’s talk.  And then it reverted back and I finally turned it off.  But Jenna and I wanted to hear the rest of Elder Miller’s talk and so I signed in again.  We heard the end.  Nothing in the middle.

          The high counselor made a joke about the “dry council” as it was called when we were growing up. He wasn’t dry, but his deliverance somehow didn’t appeal to me and I lost track of the message.  We turned it off as Roland blessed and passed the sacrament.  And then I tried signing into Relief Society.  

        RS and SS use zoom.  Sunday School works great but RS and the Priesthood have different Zoom ID's seem to compete. At first I could only hear bits and pieces of the priesthood and then I couldn’t hear at all – though I wasn’t the only one with issues.  I could also hear another who had signed on and couldn’t hear.  We both ended up signing out and back in again.  It was about fifteen minutes before I got sound.  I could see seven aside the instructor but guessed there were at least three more as I could hear sisters I recognized by voice but did not have a view of them.

          My next stop was St. George – which worked the best of the three.  Elder Cooper showed me around Brigham Young’s winter home starting at the rear of the house.

though I was shown this hallway to begin with, we
did not use the stairs until the end of the tour - they
had been put in as part of the tour and not part of the original house

he referred to this as a "Mormon Couch" which can be used as a bed

He said that this was called a flat grand piano


The floors and much of the furniture is made out of white
 pine -though all have an appearance of something else

he said the two framed drawings are original to the house; the dishes are original
to the Young Collection but not a part of the winter house in St. George
 
this is the kitchen.  A hired helper roomed above the kitchen

another view of the kitchen and pantry through the door

though the stove is not the original the chair is

these are the stairs between the kitchen and the hired
hands' room; short skinny steps.  Not roomy at all

Amelia Young's bedroom; she never bore children

bedroom of Brigham Young.  Some original pieces - mostly copies.  I was most
interested in the dresser which my tour guide referred to as a trunk.  He said that
each of the drawers are numbered as the dimensions were of different sizes.


the cane on the bed is one that Brigham Young used

we spent a few minutes outside as he walked around 
and back; pay attention to the white bench

He referred to this as an office which I understood was not
built until after the dedication of the St. George Temple

As we walked inside Elder Cooper said the dedicatory prayer of the
temple had not been recorded and so the officials would use this office
to write down the prayer so that they would have it

The benches are originals but NOT to the house or office.  They were a part
of the 4th floor in the St. George Temple but were removed as the forth floor 
in temples (I think he said there were five of them) is no longer used

This shows behind the office. The colors
on house match original coloring

         When the tour was near its end and after I had thanked him, a group of four entered the gate and Elder Cooper let him know that the inside is for virtual touring right now but he would be happy to show them around outside and answer any questions.  Perhaps I should have stayed and listened but chose to sign off so that he could devote his attention to them.

If you would like to take a virtual tour in one of St. George historic sites click here to set up a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment