Thursday, January 17, 2013

I have four coats and LOTS of Chapstick




          Having a coat in Utah is a necessity – sometimes a few coats (as there are various kinds) but sometimes the amount of coats one has in his or her possession
isn’t always seen as a necessity – but more of a desire.


          I have never spent an outrageous amount for a coat.  I have usually gone for something economical pricewise. Warm.  Cute.  Except for one year when it seemed the only coats offered were either wool or those down filled sleeping bags with arms (that’s what I called them)  I’m allergic to wool.  Greatly allergic.  I had red rings around my wrists just from trying them on.  Seriously.
 

          I did have a raincoat/trench coat at one time.  I’ve always wanted a rain slicker – but have never purchased one.  Though I did purchase a rain hat at one time.


 








          Currently I have four coats.  Only one of the four that I actually purchased – when I was single and could afford it.  It is my Sunday coat.  It isn’t very warm – though many people think it is.  I’ve had warmer jackets.







          The coat I wear most often – or DID wear the most often is a red reversible that was left behind in the house where we currently live.  It goes to my waist and usually serves its purpose for keeping me warm.



          I received a corduroy jacket from one of Biff’s friends who’d outgrown it.  It’s actually warmer than the red coat and so I’ve worn it a few times during the cold months.  The last couple of times that I put it on, I couldn't button because of my weight.  But it is still warm even when it's open. But I still wear the red coat the most – probably more than the other three put together.  



          Unlike my first coat which looks warmer than it is, I think the corduroy is warmer than it looks.  

          And then there’s the green coat – my only long coat.  Originally purchased by Sunny’s sister when she was on her mission in Spain, but didn’t have a use for it when she returned to the states as she is currently living in Arizona.

          She in turn passed it onto Ellen who is always cold – or so it seems.  She is really quite thin.  And I can’t believe that I can actually wear something that has been on Ellen’s body as I haven’t been that thin for decades.


         I don’t know how many years Ellen kept it before it was passed on to me.  I’ll wear it on occasion as it does cover my legs and so overall really is the warmest of the four.  Usually it has been too warm – except for this year.  Welcome to 2 degree weather!  I haven’t even touched any of the other three coats since the year started.


          Roland doesn’t like it.  He calls it my bag lady coat.  At least it doesn’t look like a sleeping bag with arms!  Roland wouldn’t even be able to be in the same house as one of those as he is allergic to feathers.



          I have a huge assortment of hats and gloves – mostly due to my being an airhead as I’m always misplacing both.  

          The purple hat initially belonged to a former co-worker.  She had made it for herself.  Every day I would tell her what I liked about it.  I thought it was a cute hat.  Possibly cuter on her than me.  The hat is cute – but I can make it appear to look dorky.  I don’t know why.  Perhaps it’s the huge mass of hair I have on my head 

          Roland and I have also knitted hats for each other.  I have never attempted to knit or crochet gloves or mittens however. 
          And then there is the long pink scarf that has been a part of my daily wardrobe many days in November and December and every day since this year began.
          It is, without doubt, the longest scarf I have ever seen in my life.  Sunny gave it to me just before the first really cold day.  I could wrap that pupper around my head and my neck and still have a lot left to cover both back and front.  And I really do stay warm.  



          My car has killed over a few times - I’m sure due to the cold.  I wouldn’t blame it for stopping all together.  But am very grateful that it doesn’t (or at least hasn’t yet). 
          The air has been so fricken cold – and dry.  Very DRY. 

          I had purchased a package of Chapsticks.  20 -  40 of them – which I meant to use as stocking stuffers but then forgot about them.  But I retrieved the package earlier this month and have opened several tubes and placed them in pockets of each coat and each purse or tote that I may use.  I don’t ever wish to be caught without something to keep my lips from cracking.

          You know it’s been cold when 20 degrees actually feels warm.


3 comments:

  1. You’ll be surprised, but among the four, I LOVE the GREEN one most! It is the color that is more appealing to me and I think adding a little detail would make it better. I think having it resewn will make you wear it often.

    Joel Salmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joel. It does need to be repaired. And I know it's not a great picture. My eight year old hasn't picked up on any major photography skills - not to mention the combination of lighting in our cracker box house mixed with the less-than-superior cameras that are available to me right now.
    I appreciate your comment (as I seem to have so few of them)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I see. Yes, it’s kinda’ against the light. Anyway, try to check other blogs for inspiration, with the repair, I mean. You’ll be surprised how creative everybody can get.

    Joel Salmon

    ReplyDelete