Sunday, February 3, 2019

Words: Tear and Tear


If ever I should see the word "tear" by itself, I think of the word that rhymes with ear (or "tir) meaning "what falls from my eye" - probably because I produce a lot of them.  But the word "tear" also rhymes with air (or "ter") which means to rip or a hole.  According to this site the word "tear" is a homograph or hetronym.  That is it is spelled the same, in some cases is pronounced the same, but has different meanings.

          I had explored five dictionary sites.  Cambridge was the only one of the five that listed t-ear (tir) first.  The definition provided was "a drop of salty liquid that flows from the eye due to pain or emotion".

          Though all five dictionaries listed similar definitions, each of the others started there definitions with t-air (ter):

Google:     
                   1 - "pull or rip something apart; separate into pieces"

                   2 - "move very quickly, typical in reckless a or excited manner" 

Merriam-Webster

ter               1 -  noun: damage from being torn
                   1 - verb:  the act of tearing something (Thank you Mr. Webster!)

          2 - a run of unusual success

tir       3 - a drop of clear saline fluid . . . moisture from the eye

Cambridge

ter               pull apart
          2 - move quickly

Oxford (this dictionary had several definitions - I am providing only four)

ter     1 - pull somethin apart; remove or make a hole with force; damage

          2 - state of uncertainty between two conflicting options or parties

tir       3 -      a dop of saline watery fluid; moisture of the eye

          4.  a shape

Dictionary.com (which combines multi dictionaries such as COBUILD, Webster and Collins to name a few)

ter     1 - puncture or rend
          2 - doubt or uncertainty


tir       3 -      salty fluid due to emotion

          I have used tear (tir) and tear (ter) as a rip or being ripped more than other definitions included.  Occasionally I have used definition 2 as well.

          There is t-air (ter) like "let's get out of here"  "He tore out of there rather quickly"  - usually the word "tear" becomes a thing that happened in the past "tore"  -  I've heard the expression "they tore out of there . . . " meaning they hurried away, but I have never heard it in the present " watch me tear . . ." or "see them tearing"

Merriam-Webster 2 - a run of unusual success gives the example "the team was on a tear"  I have no idea what that even means.   They were running fast?  I have never heard that before.

The number 2 definition of being pulled apart due to conflict I have also heard and may have used myself

"torn between staying home or spending money unnecessarily to travel"

"this addiction is tearing the family apart" - again a tense that changes TEAR

What is the first thing you think of when you see the word TEAR?





1 comment:

  1. Just earlier, I was doing an activity out of a children's book because I wasn't getting anything out of stake conference. I had to see how many words I could make out of the letters from the word department. Tear is one I came up with and my first thought was the moist that come from the eyes. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete